Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is worth the effort to put an electric pump on my car. I use it on the streets and I like to race the nmca true street where you drive 30 miles then do three pass. My main goal is I have run a best of 10.05 and want to get the 9.99 ticket. How much Et gain have some of you seen with a water pump swap and did it stay cool on the street driving end ?

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
I have seen no ET gain, but you can cool it off in traffic and between rounds with the motor off.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
I have a few customers that run the Mizzerre pumps on the street with no problems. With underdrive pulley setups you can run into cooling system trouble.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
I agree with the above, no et gain but with the correct water pump, radiator and fan combo your can keep you motor cool and ready to drive or race. A good alternator and battery finish off the combo.

The recommendations from everyone are spot on. It all has to work together.

If you go the electric route, Meziere has a good HD unit rated at 55 gpm designed for continuous use.

A really good mechanical water pump is made Stewart Components. Need to run of their thermostats with their pumps, however. For a mechanical pump, these are high quality units that work.

As far as the alternator, when the guys says "a good one" what this means is one that will put out approx 70-80 amps at idle and upwards of 120-140 at speed. This is a must have if you are running elec water pump, high-flow elec fan, and if your vehicle is equipped with an electric fuel pump.
Powermaster is one source. Also, look to Ray's "electrical section" here on the Bullet. He builds custom alternators and can hook you up.

One last note, the newer elec fans that are built with an integral shroud are much better at cooling than the ones without one.

Good luck on your project..........

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
18,065 Posts
X2 on that little Moroso drive kit!

Drove it on the street for years with that thing.

Unlike my nice new Blue CSR, you can see the Moroso actually running! The CSR is so quiet you have to put your hand on it to make sure you have it on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We put a standard 35GPM Meziere electric pump on my Dad's SBC 6-71 blower motor and it made a HUGE difference in keeping it cool on the street vs the aluminum Weiand belt driven pump we had before. The temp would creep up slowly and never stop climbing, if you got stuck in traffic forget it, now you can drive it on a 90 degree day without to many problems. It's a fairly healthy street motor 1:1 ratio on the blower, 10.60's street tires and mufflers in a 65 Chevy-II.

They didn't make the higher ouput 55 GPM back when we bought the pump, the new heavy duty one may work even better.

I also have a standard Meziere on my BBC Camaro and it made a big difference over the Moroso electric water pump drive I had on before. My car now cools some just driving back on the return road.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been running a moroso elec drive kit for close to 10yrs now on the same motor, It has outlasted probrably 10 engines and still going.
I like them too, I have a csr on the car now and the damn thing draws 14 amps where the old moroso drive kit only drew 6 to 7 if you got the belt tention loose enough.

·
Super Rod 2413
1,347 Posts
I run a electric water pump on the street and it defiantly help keep the temps down on the street. Works great at the track between round to.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the input. I will look some where else for my et reduction. But may still replace the pump. Does the CSR unit work well for the street or do I need the Mezier 55 gpm pump?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The CSR will work great. I have a Proform on mine and works too good at times. I have the big Griffin 31x19 w/2 1.25" rows and Chrysler LHS fans. Don't have to run the fans much at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts