Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend bought an electric vacum pump to install on his car. How did you plumb yours? All of the tanks I saw have 1 fitting on them and a breather on top. Do you need a tank with 2 fittings and no breather?

·
Just a Mean Ol' Phucker
21,399 Posts
Friend bought an electric vacum pump to install on his car. How did you plumb yours? All of the tanks I saw have 1 fitting on them and a breather on top. Do you need a tank with 2 fittings and no breather?
I fabbed one with two fittings and no breather.....

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The only real electric vacuum pump is the Star unit. The others will merely help remove any moisture from the engine and don't give any real benefits otherwise.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I beg to differ, I run a Ford pump pulls 4 inches thats more than most exhaust ones do and the mosture does come out but it does keep 4 inches in the pan stops the leaks LOL but big power no, in truth 1/2 the guys running "Vac" Pumps arent ganing much more

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
Does it pull 4" at 7500 rpm as you are crossing the stripe? I would be willing to bet you have positive pressure at that point.
If his motor had positive pressure it would leak and he would know it, but I get what you're saying. My personal opinion is the electric pumps dont pull enough vacuum for any kind of advantage other than stopping leaks. I think most people simply don't want the cost of a belt-driven pump that does what they are supposed to do.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
If his motor had positive pressure it would leak and he would know it, but I get what you're saying. My personal opinion is the electric pumps dont pull enough vacuum for any kind of advantage other than stopping leaks. I think most people simply don't want the cost of a belt-driven pump that does what they are supposed to do.

Too many belt driven pumps give up on Drag Week everyone pulls the belts off. I left mine on made it 20 miles...... Some make it some dont. A reliable 4 inches will work fine for me. Most guys are not picking up the 50 hp they claim from the pump they put on. 100.00 pump is going back on mine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can anyone give any part#s on these pumps? A Ford # possibly? I tried one off of a F-body a few years ago without much success. The pump itself pulled 3 or 4", but burned up in no time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for the info! I ordered an A-1 Cardone # 32-3500M, which crosses over to the Motorcraft# cx-1567, which has been discontinued, at least according to the local Motorcraft distributor this morning. This Cardone pump cost me 110.00 from O'Reillys.
Do you have any tips on mounting, plumbing, or any modifications that need to be done to these pumps to help them live?

·
Registered
24,647 Posts
Thanks for the info! I ordered an A-1 Cardone # 32-3500M, which crosses over to the Motorcraft# cx-1567, which has been discontinued, at least according to the local Motorcraft distributor this morning. This Cardone pump cost me 110.00 from O'Reillys.
Do you have any tips on mounting, plumbing, or any modifications that need to be done to these pumps to help them live?

For one thing the foam needs to be taken out .

I also run the line off the breather up hill before going to the pump .

I use the Moroso breather with the mesh inside to also keep oil out of the line . If you use these kind of breathers , make sure you seal the seams where they are pressed together with JB weld .

Also make sure the valve cover has a baffle .

I have the original Motorcraft one , and its one durable little pump . Not sure how the knock offs are . Mine runs constant duty , but I only use it to keep oil in the motor . I'm sure it doesnt help much in boost . But it will allow crank case pressure through the pump even if the pump doesnt keep up .

1 - 20 of 152 Posts