Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They started allowing them to be rented and used around the downtown area here in Wellington, NZ. I saw one going up a hill at an impressive speed and was actually impressed.

I'm thinking I might get one when I get back to the states to use in the pits. To me it seems a better option than a small motorcycle primarily due to it's size and maneuverability.

Anyone bought/used one of the new electric scooters and if so, what is your experience?

·
Registered
25,442 Posts
Whelp; since you asked - One of our office douche bag hipsters rented one in D/FW was w a group of partier's after a ball game in the Arlington Gentrification area...

Story told was "They became separated on the side streets, and he was trying to catch up and....last thing he remembers was going onto an ADA sidewalk curb" "next he remembered was waking up to the EMT's attending him as he was laid out on sidewalk from wreck" "was LARGE blood spot on brick walkway near light pole" "doesn't remember hitting anything or getting knocked unconscious"

"Scooter" (as I nicknamed him post event) was out for almost two weeks...forehead contusions, facial lacerations, eye socket damage, concussion, etc.

No helmet, high center of control bar steering / throttle / brakes etc.

Hint: Watch videos of people driving them erratically... .02

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I rent them in helsinki Finland to zip from the hotel to downtown. Most if them will do 20kph and can definitely get you in trouble if ya hit something. I've spent many a drunk night coming back to the hotel from the bar on scooter's. more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
directions to gas station

·
Registered
994 Posts
I built a gas powered one 20+ year's ago using a weedwacker engine and friction drive. It did about 36 mph. It had larger rubber tires but could be sketchy at speed. I had friends try it and said never again.

Those with the little wheels don't look as stable. My son has a push one and he has fallen plenty but he's a kid so he is supposed to fall! That's how we learned!

·
Registered
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whelp; since you asked - One of our office douche bag hipsters rented one in D/FW was w a group of partier's after a ball game in the Arlington Gentrification area...

Story told was "They became separated on the side streets, and he was trying to catch up and....last thing he remembers was going onto an ADA sidewalk curb" "next he remembered was waking up to the EMT's attending him as he was laid out on sidewalk from wreck" "was LARGE blood spot on brick walkway near light pole" "doesn't remember hitting anything or getting knocked unconscious"

"Scooter" (as I nicknamed him post event) was out for almost two weeks...forehead contusions, facial lacerations, eye socket damage, concussion, etc.

No helmet, high center of control bar steering / throttle / brakes etc.

Hint: Watch videos of people driving them erratically... .02

Good Luck.
What motorized vehicle doesn't require some skill and judgment? Sounds like your co-worker lacked one or both.

I've seen plenty of people using them around town and haven't seen anything that would make me think they are any more dangerous than any of the small scooters running around the pit, often too fast. I certainly don't expect to go real fast, but I see them as capable of taking me from point A-B at the track at the same speed as a golf cart. Golf carts are fine, but just for yourself taking a small scooter to the track seems simpler if you don't need a cart.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I use them all time when I am downtown Indy. Renting them for a couple minutes at a time is cheap, easy and fun.
I’d rather have a moped at the track tho

·
Registered
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use them all time when I am downtown Indy. Renting them for a couple minutes at a time is cheap, easy and fun.
I’d rather have a moped at the track tho
Fair enough but why would you prefer a moped? Is that also electric? Is it because it's more comfortable to be seated?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Fair enough but why would you prefer a moped? Is that also electric? Is it because it's more comfortable to be seated?
Seat for one.
Also: scooters are easy to “move” if you don’t have your eye
On it
Plus, racetrack pits and those little tires don’t make good companions imho.

·
Registered
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seat for one.
Also: scooters are easy to “move” if you don’t have your eye
On it

Plus, racetrack pits and those little tires don’t make good companions imho.
Good point, I hadn't considered the "someone's is going to steal my shit' angle yet. ;)

The mopar you spoke of - is it electric?

·
Registered
25,442 Posts
What motorized vehicle doesn't require some skill and judgment? Sounds like your co-worker lacked one or both.

I've seen plenty of people using them around town and haven't seen anything that would make me think they are any more dangerous than any of the small scooters running around the pit, often too fast. I certainly don't expect to go real fast, but I see them as capable of taking me from point A-B at the track at the same speed as a golf cart. Golf carts are fine, but just for yourself taking a small scooter to the track seems simpler if you don't need a cart.
No problem. Sounds as if you've already decided w the scooter. K. Go For It. No Skin In The Game on this end. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem. Sounds as if you've already decided w the scooter. K. Go For It. No Skin In The Game on this end. Best of Luck.
Not decided yet. Based on your second hand experience you confirmed that idiots can screw themselves up. Thanks!

Now what I need to gather is experience from others about pros and cons, preferably first hand experience. ;)

·
Registered
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
25,442 Posts
Bunch of pussys

It's a damn scooter not a Honda 250r.

I vote get the scooter.
Indeed...same as I told our "scooter" accident "expert": Put over 20,000 miles on my last sport bike and I'd not mess w the High T-Handled Tiny Tired 'hit pea gravel and wreck' scooters..."

NawtMyThing - but will bow out as already "schooled" by OP seeking 1st Hand Exp. :p

Up Next: "What Happens When I Stick A Butter Knife Into An Electrical Outlet?" Thread :smt102

:smt082

·
Registered
994 Posts
They were selling electric minibikes at the Pomona nationals when I was there. Saw crew members riding them thru the pits. A friend of mine 's team had a couple in thier pit.
The brand that was selling was Burromax.Com
They had two models. If I remember correctly they were around$450 & $650.
I still have the brochure but probably can get more info on the website.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Wife & I have segway scooters.

we enjoy using them.

we ride them on the walk trail by us after dark,cause then there are no people walking,and there is to be no motorized vehicles on the walk trail,but after dark it is fun to do,we sneak up on wild life here,and sometimes they sneack up on us,once we had a encounter with a skunk,no spray thankfully,but it was interesting!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts