Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had a few guys ask me to see more of my build...so Im finally doing so. Its a long term project, so between my normal work schedule, redoing my personal shop, part of my house and maintaining everything, I dont spend nearly enough time fabbing on it..

GOALS WHEN DONE
general wheeling/ fun street truck
crawler/bouncer
truck pulls/tug o war
Mud (although I HATE mud haha)
Jump it/ hit some dunes too
I want to drag race/land speed it once seeing as I have background in both sports

so the plan was originally to throw together a cheap wheeling rig, something I could just go out and blow off some steam with...well that lasted about 2 minutes... In the 3 years Ive owned it..i literally sold off everything but the CAB...This is a budget build in most extents...The goal was to either buy 2nd hand new, used or hand fab the required parts..so far, its working out well..onto the pics and explanations.

Brother bought it for the 38s...sold it to me on the way home..Threw some 31s on it and brought it to my place. that spring I bought out all my brothers one ton stuff and well, that started the slippery slope...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cut the bed off (it was 3 layers thick with all the patching, scrapped the mud out of the frame and threw a 60 on my mock up 42s under it...I found a pair of long bed quarters to cut up when Im ready on craigslist, and shortly after I picked up the 44 inch boggers...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the parts pile from my brother was the 78/79 60 from that bronco, built some stands and loaded it up. Being a fabricator makes it nice when I need something specialized...I had bought and sold some parts trucks, did some horse trading and ended up with these Michelins on 20 inch Colorado custom wheels...With my goal of a low COG, I cut about 4.5 inches of fender out to start and had to see what itd look like...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so basically this is the point where shit hit the fan so to speak...My plan was to box the frame...my frame somehow was still really clean even though this truck was beat on nonstop by the last few owners, and I DID NOT want mud caked in every seam as it was..I also did not want to box the lumpy stock frame, fill every hole in, metal finish it all, and still have a stock frame...SOOOOOO..i decided to build a new one...I decided on Flat topped/ straight rails to make my life easier, and I notched the bottom for clearance...I left the rear of the frame long and will trim it when I have the cab, nose, front suspension mounted etc...

I moved the truck down near my shop with my plow truck and proceeded to mangle my pinky.. after a trip to the ER, 5 stitches, a bunch of missing skin, and some time to heal, I got started cutting the new frame. started with 2x6 and 2x4 lumber...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im a fabricator by trade, the shop I work at allows us to buy material through them, dumpster dive for material, and use the equipment at the shop..So most of the photos from here on will be there...The bench you see is my personal 10ooo lb chassis table though haha

I made a template of the notch I wanted, plasma cut the sides of the tube out leaving the bottom attached. A few slices in the radius,some clamps, and I had a radius in the step from 2by6 to 2by4..All welds are tigged, and While these welds are metal finished, the majority will not be...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the time, I had a Warn 18 series, and a smitty 10k...I grabbed some 3/8 plate and worked with one of our press brake operators to bend up my winch cradles...the 18 up front, 10 out back..I decided that I wanted to create a cradle to not only house the winch, but to act as the front/rear crossmembers, a place for my shackles to mount for recovery, the mount for the fairleads, and the start of my bumpers... The last 3 photos are of my Hitch mounting tubes..I want a fully flat belly, and since I plan to tug/truck pull, I wanted stout hitch mounting that was easily removable...^ 5/8 bolts hold the hitches in and will be later gusseted more...They also can be another recovery point,...out front, Itll also be the weight box mount.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at that point, I set the frame aside, my plan was to fit the cab and nose to it, and then cut it to length, fit the rear cradle etc..I decided I wanted to do some bench work..so It was time to mess with the dif covers. In the stash were a pair of Ballistic covers..the fir was good..the welding looked like a beginner did them....Way too hot, way undercut...Being that I work in a high end fab shop, 95 percent of my work is tig work, Im kind of OCD, and use to work in a hot rod shop, I couldnt have those welds visible...Time to spend way to much time making dif covers that may smash on rocks way too pretty...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you can see, I added a drain to the bottom of the cover, and started metal finishing them...I HATE filling through a small port, and who hasnt had to pull the cover to do a quick inspection..seems like a bunch of work to me (ironic I say that while hand building a truck huh) so While going through my Joes racing catalog, I saw their o ringed power steering caps..I called them up, and wanted to order 2..but they only had aluminum bungs...I talked them into just selling me the caps, I got the thread size and had a buddy cut me threads (i was a machinist for 3 years and never once learned how to properly cut threads manually...go figure) Once he got me the threads cut, I finish machined the bung

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on to the wheels..I bought 12 bolt humvee beadlocks..I got them privately, but I spoke to Any at Trail worthy and he verified they came from them..The plan was new centers, rock rings, to widen them to better fit the 44/19.50/16.5 boggers, and do PVC inners..I havent actually widened them yet, but everything is in hand to do so...

I designed the rock rings, and wheel centers, I wanted the look of the old slotted mags from the 70s...So, I sketched them up and handed them to a programmer at work..Later that day I had them on my bench..I machined the lug area off the 12 bolt outers, and did the initial mock up

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made sure they fit, machined up some blocks to set back spacing and then had to do a first mock up of the wheel...Next will be to actually widen them, and start tacking all the pieces together...I also decided to upgrade to 5/8 lug studs and 1 inch open end lug nuts..The wheel centers were cut for 5/8 and then I machined the proper countersink into the faces...wheels are hub and lug centric...ill see how they fit when I go to bolt them on haha

btw, its not off center in the photo..Im 5 ft 9, and not tall enough to get a straight shot of the assembly

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok...so weight goal is 5500 lbs with me in it hopefully...That means its going on a diet.."Every ounce counts"..."if it dont break, make it lighter, if it does, make it stronger"..."nothing lighter than a hole"

Being a racer at heart, and a traditional hot rodder, lightening holes were a natural..I own a fairbanks scale, so I tend of go over board with saving weight at times...I mean who else has a gas pedal that weighs 1 pound and a brake pedal that weighs 2????

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the plan is to run a set of Scotts shocks. I spoke with Jeremy, got some measurements, went to my buddy Chads shop and took some photos, and started building mock up shocks..Why you ask...well, I cant currently afford them, I like the challenge, and now I can use the mock ups for fab, for cycling the suspension, and I can even lock it out at full bump, ride height and full extension...After a trip to Home Depot, scrounging some DOM drops and some time in the lathe and bridgeport, I have a near finished "shock"

the bodies are 3 inch pvc..those of you that arent familiar, PIPE is measured from the ID, so 3 inch is the ID dimension..the OD is approximately 3 5/8 if i remember right..this helps me build in clearance when Im mounting since Scotts shocks have a 3 inch body...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some misc stuff..I picked up a corbeau to sit in and a Sparco for the passenger..Both used..My pit decided she liked the Corbeau more than me and now I need a new seat, I figured the even with the full cage I want the passenger to be very well protected, hence the Sparco..I fit below the top of the seat and I figure with 5 points on, and grab handles, they should be good. Ill be hanging onto a Joes racing wheel with quick release...Ill make the column and itll go to an orbital..Im running 5.38s in the 60s...35 spline spool and chromo axles out back, ARB up front..eventually, Ill upgrade the axles as well. As for the rest of the suspension, the plan is 3 link up front at this point, and a triangulated 4 link out back..1,25 inch heims, lowers will be 2 inch 1/4 wall sleeved with 2.25 1/8, uppers will be 2 inch 1/4 wall. its all rough cut and sitting on my shelf until I have the cash for heims.. The plan is to fully truss the axles, beef up the Cs and knuckles, etc...last photo is of the new lugs and studs

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright guys...I had a semi clean shop so I decided to get the cab in there..I brought the frame home, set it on some saw horses, and stood back..Well, we all know what came next...My brother was helping me and said"we gotta mock it up"...so mock it up we did haha. Belly is at 29 inchs, door handle is at 58..Cab and fender are roughly where theyll sit. Once I get them mounted, Ill figure out front suspension and then decide on wheelbase. Once I do that, Ill cut the frame to length and fit the rear cradle, and chop up the quarters until it looks proper...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started by gutting the cab..New Years eve, I decided to bail on the party I was going to and work on the truck...I threw the Sparco in it and I felt I was too high up, soooo

Out came the firewall since I plan on setting a 12 valve cummins back for better weight distribution and I want it behind the front axle...THEN, since the cowl started fighting me, I moved onto the floor...This is how the truck currently sits while I do some work in the house, am setting aside money for shop and barn renovations, and trying to sell some stuff to buy other stuff..haha

1 - 20 of 77 Posts