Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run an egt reader and have some questions.In wot my readings were about 1350° on motor and 1450° on nitrous.I just put a 50cc acc pump on the carb,threw it back together,put my air cleaner on for street driving and now it reads 1450° on just motor at wot....what would cause this?And what is a good temp to be at tuning wise at wot.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
You are seeing higher reading's because of the incoming temp's are higher coming into the motor. I would read the plugs to do all your tuning, the EGT's will help let you see if you need to change things with weather and if something is going wrong. What do the plugs look like?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'd richen up the fuel jet a bit to try and get the EGTs closer together. You CAN go with the higher readings if you run aftermarket pistons.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok makes sense,I havent got to che k plugs,drove it to work this morning and got those temps.Iam running JE forged pistons,soooooo what kind of temp is consider too lean?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
The location and position of the probe will effect the temps you see. Get the plugs right, record the EGT you get when the plugs look good then use it to refference what is happening over time or as you race. A single EGT probe is usful but only as a reference. You could have another cyl 150 degrees different.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The location and position of the probe will effect the temps you see. Get the plugs right, record the EGT you get when the plugs look good then use it to refference what is happening over time or as you race. A single EGT probe is usful but only as a reference. You could have another cyl 150 degrees different.
Alright sounds good,Ill pull plugs when I get home and check it out,1450 just seemed kinda high to me thats why I was concerned.

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
Keep in mind that you can't properly read plugs unless you are running WOT then shutting off the engine, and then looking at the plugs. On the street, they will almost always be sooted up.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind that you can't properly read plugs unless you are running WOT then shutting off the engine, and then looking at the plugs. On the street, they will almost always be sooted up.
Gotcha

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The EGT's also respond to timing more than fuel. As you pull timing out the egt's will go up due to the later combustion process. More heat going out the exhaust.
Just tunning with egt reads will mislead the tunner.

Like said, get the plugs right then that will base line the egt for future referencing.

I've got O2 sensers and egt probes on the race engine. But the plugs are the first thing I read. The other stuff just helps to support a direction. if the egt and O2 don't agree with plugs, I go with the plug read. It's an eye witness to the combustion event. The other stuff can lie to you.

Blessings..........Ron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts