Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
1" to 1-1/2" from flange.
1050-1150 deg.
The water temp should be approx 170* when you stage the car and increase no more than 10-15* at the end of the run.

This is where I had placed my single EGT on #7 tube and where the exhaust temps ran on my 406 sbc w/ Enderle Hat Injection. I also ran a high-speed lean out as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
I run gas but get different readings from different cylinders. The odd thing is the cylinders on the dyno that were hotter or colder are not the same ones when checked in the car during a race. That just further proved that we don't race dynos. And weather conditions also effect the EGT temps on mine. RM

RM hit on a good point.
The better the air, the higher the exhaust gas temperature.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
chevette, you need to install turn-outs on the collectors if you have the room. I had to on my Beretta and I had to install some sheet metal deflectors between the bottom of the rocker panels and the top of the turn-out to ensure no fumes would enter the car. My Beretta is a tube chassis car and the rocker was open where the lower main bar was positioned.

A HS lean out is always good to run but they won't help with any fumes. You need turn-outs. My 406 only saw 6800 in the 1/8 and 7400 in the 1/4.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
X2 on the Kinsler unit. That's what I ran. Once it's set, you forget about it, just like the rest of the system after the sweet spot has been found.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
WJ Birmingham, sorry but I don't agree with your last sentence about "making adjustments every round to the main jet".

Now I know what I ran (Enderle Hat on a tunnel ram) is a little different than the toilet, chevette is running but once the "sweet spot" has been found and the car repeats, and the EGT's are good, I see no reason to keep wrenching on it. Both systems are still mechanical constant-flow units.

In over eight years of bracket racing every weekend, the main pill and barrel valve setting was never changed on my car. What it ran that day is what it ran that day. The et's went from a 5.55 quickest in the fall, cool crisp air to 5.65-5.69s during 100 deg, 95% humidity summer days/nights. And it was consistent as hell regardless of the ambient condidtions. Just had to dial for the changing track.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Well hell, I guess I wasted all that money on a full flowed jet /nozzle compliment and weather station.

I'll just throw em all up on Ebay dirt cheap.

Sure, if you run it pig fat, it will be consistent.

If you're serious enough about wanting to put a high speed lean out on it, then you should be serious enough to be making fuel adjustments round by round.

Hey, I wasn't slamming you or what you said. No where near. It seems you and I just approach our racing from different perspectives.

I too spent good money on flowed jets / nozzles. Tim Engler flowed my system on his bench and he doesn't work for nothing.

No, it was never even close to running pig fat. Ran the same set of plugs the last two seasons and never a drop in performance.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Yep !

But NITRO keeps me awake !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts