Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
One thing to note is try and put all of them the same distance and in the same position from the flange and same depth when you put them in. That should give you the tighest readings across the board.
2x with the temps, 1100 exhaust and 170 water seem to be pretty universal on methanol motors.
It is fun to fatten up the barrel valve and have the motor really crisp off idle but than you can't get any heat in it and in this nice humid weather the manifold sweats.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Do any of you all ever get false readings, like when you do a pill change & the egt's don't respond? I tried running an egt before & had that problem all the time. Ended up tunning it off engine temp, but the egt was about 2-2.5" from the flange. They tould me it might still be burning the fuel & that is why I could not get the egt's to change. I only ran one, now I bought a data aqusion kit with 8 egt's & all these other bells & whistles. Thank You Everyone
2 -2.5" from the flange is a mile away. Figure that would be like 5+" from the exhaust valve and at that point it has seen enough surface area to cool and radiant heat loss. Try and keep them close for best readings.
The other thing is if you are running a mechanical fuel injection system with a High Speed By-Pass you might not see any EGT change with your pill change as the highest EGT is after the high speed takes over.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Sure, if you're not using flowed jets/nozzles, you can sometimes change from a 90 to a 95 main, and not change a damn thing. It just depends how far off the main jet flows from it's stamped number.
Say it isn't so.
We know all the fuel injection racers on YB only used flowed nozzles and jets simply because that is the correct way. :cool:

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
When would you all recomend a high speed by-pass? I've been told that I didn't need one. BBC 496 N/A 7400rpm. How much does it help? After a pass when I shut it off , under full throttle alcohol fumes are real bad,even if I just lift & shove it into neutral. would a high speed help this, or should I put one in? how much ET/MPH?
I ran a 496 n/a BBC on methanol with a Kinsler fuel injection for 3 years and always used a high speed by-pass, tweeking the pill is where you get peak torque, tweeking the high speed is where you get peak horse power and mph gains.
http://www.kinsler.com/Cat_31_Web_HTMLs/0201234_screen42.html
As far as fumes like the other guys said do something with your headers. Once you lift unless something is wacky with your system all the fuel gets routed back to your fuel cell. I would suspect that without a high speed by-pass you motor is really fat on top end which will give you low EGT readings. What system are you running?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Rons flying toilet - no high speed. They told me I didn't need one. We just put a new set of heads on the truck picked up every where. Never had this problem before, with the other heads. making more power now. I deal with it, but I was just thinking maybe its time for a high speed.
Don't need one? Well yeah you can get by without one with methanol because you can run really fat and not foul a plug but I don't know many motors that have a linear fuel curve. If you want give Brad @ Kinsler a call and pick his brain, he is a master at fuel injection and can hook you up. A high speed by-pass does not cost that much and if it means more mph you might like it.
I am presently building a 556 BBC with my same system on it. I should be on the dyno in about 2 weeks so I will post my finding on fuel curves and such. Oh and I am going to run the new VP M5. Think I will crank it up and rip off the knob.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Two schools of thought, neither wrong:
Horndog your happy leaving it alone as long as it is consistant and you can go rounds, thats cool.
WJ you like to tinker and squeeze every bit of Hp out of it on any given day and that is also cool. (thats me I will admit)
Now play nice..:rolleyes:
Thing is if you going to tinker you need to keep records, take data, and make small changes or it will bite you in the behind faster that you can blink.
Chevette, if you already running the toilet you have the basics down, adding a High Speed by-pass you will be able to tweek some more Hp and MPH out of you motor. You can add a HS thats is set to high pressure and slowly reduce it to find your "sweet spot"
WJ, I never lifted the ring lands but I did boil the cement and pepper the plug with aluminum a few times. Lean is mean but you can go too far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts