Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering some changes over the long winter. What are the Pro's vs Con's when switching from a single carb 598 BBC conventional headed deal running LOTS of nitrous to a Holley EFI. My biggest fear is i know nothing about EFI. We are happy with what we have at this time, but.............:confused: is it worth changing? Who has done this?
Pro's?
Con's?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I have done it, I am running 412ci sbf with 32 in the first stage and 30 in the second. I'm using the wastefire coils, love the fact only one box in the car(no msd box) love no disturbutor, no more phasing rotors. This is my first efi system, never tuned one before, did a lot of reaserch, found the holley was the best for my needs.
Tuning straight motor was fairly easy, even on spray it was staright foward.
Only thing was still to this day I could never get my plugs looking clean, it looks always rich, some say its the wastefire coils( I don't understand how) so far went 5.12 in a 3060lbs small tire car.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
What are you expecting from the change? You'd definately want the availability of someone to get you going. That can greatly reduce the learning curve.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you expecting from the change? You'd definately want the availability of someone to get you going. That can greatly reduce the learning curve.
Thats the thing also.....I don't wanna have to keep "calling" someone (Monte...lol) every time i have a question. Don't wanna keep burning shit up learning either. Been there:mad:.
Thanks 5oh. I know theres different approaches and opinions on the subject, but at the same time if there's not decent performance increase then i may put my $ elsewhere. I don't HAVE to do this just looking for a justifiable reason too. :confused:

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Hey Ray. I know you have worked countless hours over the years, & spent a lot of money to have perfected the current combo you have. Personally, I'd "build" on that knowledge vs. climbing a whole new learning curve by going EFI. Your combo is very very impressive...improve on that if you can, BUT enjoy the moment. Just my 2 cents. Good luck either way buddy. Only in America.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Only thing was still to this day I could never get my plugs looking clean, it looks always rich, some say its the wastefire coils( I don't understand how) so far went 5.12 in a 3060lbs small tire car.
I have heard this too, even though we don't have that issue on Chad's car, with either motor. I had several people come by the pits, at Holly Springs, JUST to look at the plugs out of the car...........The common comment was "wow, those look just like plugs from a carbed car"..........my comment, "well yeah, why wouldn't they". I probably had 5, what I would call SERIOUS conversations, with guys there, wanting to switch to EFI.

Also, the nitrous Vette, Drag Week car, from Canada, has the waste fire coils, in addition to DBW (drive by wire) throttle bodies. The first day of dragweek, was the first time I had ever touched the tune on the car, plus the first time it ever went down the track. The plugs were as clean as they could be............NOTHING wrong with the Holley waste fire coils, if the tune is on the money.

Ray...........EFI and dry nitrous is the future. Do it now and never look back

Monte

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Here are some personal comments.

First, I wouldn't run on anything I personally did or try to crew with anyone that runs a carburetor and nitrous. So that is how I view EFI personally.

Second, to me, there is no debate or discussion if EFI and dry nitrous works great. Cars do it, win, and the motors don't come apart often typically. Do people have issues, of course, just as some do with every aspect of racing, and the more "stuff" you have, the more likely to have issues. Preperation and install is key with EFI.

That being said, what I see is the big differentiation to people who are successful and those are aren't are these things:

1) If you do it, being skeptical, and always expecting issues, you'll make that happen, if that makes sense, one way or another. Also include people that are "scared" of it somewhat.

2) You DO have to make an effort to learn and understand things. It is not that hard. If you have the mentality of #1, typically you are spending more effort being skeptical than making effort to learn.

The main difference between EFI and carb is this. You can buy a carb from Holley direct or good carb guy, and buy a nitrous system that is flowed by a good nitrous guy with recommendations on timing etc, slap it on, and probably make a pass. Certainly the more nitrous you run, or the more finicky the combo is, the more you need ICT, etc, etc, etc. But on moderate applications, you can slap that together and it will probably run ok. With EFI, I can personally do the same, its "easy" after you've done it.

But to me, with a lot of nitrous, EFI and nitrous, and the hardware and tools you have, make it much easier to make the engine do and respond exactly as I want. Wet fuel flow through and intake with a carb, with lots of nitrous, start doing more "unknown" things you have less control over, that's the benefit of EFI.

I could go on more, but those are some observations I've made, vs making a list of reasons why I think EFI is physically better.

·
Registered
967 Posts
You can not beat complete control! Only down side is the learning curve. Does it take a little bit. Yes. But use the help files they are your friend. Other than that wiring can be a headache if not done properly. Just take your time when wiring or having wired and it is all down hill from there. I have converted lots of systems and people always say how they can't believe they didn't do it earlier.

KG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts