Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Fast forward six years later how do the racers and street guys now feel about EFI compared to back when this thread started? I am a carb guy but have become more interested in EFI and may try it out on my 57 in the near future, currently have a Mark Whitener carb on my 496 . Also Holley is having some in house classes (tuning) in Bowling Green next year in regards to their EFI stuff was also thinking about signing up to become more familiar with the EFI.
Thanks for any replies

Steve

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I know this is a na section but the coolest things in racing today are big power small tire radial 1/8 mile racing stuff which is boosted and efi.

Todays efi closed loop control makes tuning easier and self tunes really help dial in faster. Lots of online support. Its fantastic.

I just think more efi styled manifold work needs done. Most non factory efi stuff hust try to adapt carb manifolds and they work decent but i think it could be better

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ask any NHRA prostock team if they would like to have they're carb back and which one is quicker
My understanding is they are still somewhat constrained in rules with efi. Have to use certain components i thought which may not be the best thing. Im not sure

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most Sprint Cars run up and down nozzles. 20% up and 80% down, that has been the best set up for them. Usually up only makes more high rpm HP than down only with down only having quicker acceleration. Up and down is the best of both worlds for them.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Would the drag racers be running the configuration 80%-20% or 100% down? My car is a street strip deal I am just curious to what you guys are doing with your setup?

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think that if you control fuel temperature and the intake manifold design is the same, they should be the same power wise.

If injected though, I think you can go bigger than the smallest area of a carburetor. So it should have a slight advantage.

Imo all of the power loss due to injection is because the fuel is hotter.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My understanding is they are still somewhat constrained in rules with efi. Have to use certain components i thought which may not be the best thing. Im not sure
Somewhat is a little bit of an understatment. If they could pick their own setups I think the conversation today would be much different. Also, anyone saying the EFI slowed pro stock down has a selective memory of what changed pro stock. They always leave the mandated RPM limit out of the conversation.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Somewhat is a little bit of an understatment. If they could pick their own setups I think the conversation today would be much different. Also, anyone saying the EFI slowed pro stock down has a selective memory of what changed pro stock. They always leave the mandated RPM limit out of the conversation.
Rpm always wins, but most of the field wasnt turning much, if any past the current limits anyway.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Interesting read, enjoyed it.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
This isn't really high end... but on the Motortrend Channel, there is a show called Engine Masters. Through a couple different episodes they tested throttle body injection vs. port injection vs. carb. The carb and throttle body injection made the most power. The port injectors were placed in the 'normal' location, near the end of the runners on the intake manifold.

500hp-ish engine. Throttle body injection barely beat the carb, and carb beat port injection. Much colder intake air temps with the TB and Carb setups.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/carburetor-vs-efi-shootout/0_dgb5czp4/

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/efi-vs-carbs-redux/0_tzfkzdcb/

The Engine Masters series is pretty fun to follow. It's mostly 400-700 horsepower stuff more oriented for street/strip, but is fun to watch, and has some cool things thrown in you don't always test or think about. 52 episodes so far. If you sign up for Motortrendondemand.com you get to watch all of the Motortrend shows without commercials... and a lot of other stuff that isn't on tv... and all past episodes. I think it's less than $50/yr.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts