Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NHTSA estimates 99.5% of new vehicles have EDRs. The new rules would take effect no earlier than September 2023.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Not a good thing...a young guy I know is being prosecuted based on it after someone blew a stop sign and got T-boned. The guy died. The kid was speeding but even if he wasn’t there was no way to avoid someone pulling out in front of you on a main highway. They impounded his brand new truck 6 months ago. Holding for evidence, won’t release it and he is still making $800 payments.

• Angry
Reactions: DracerX

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
Not a good thing...a young guy I know is being prosecuted based on it after someone blew a stop sign and got T-boned. The guy died. The kid was speeding but even if he wasn’t there was no way to avoid someone pulling out in front of you on a main highway. They impounded his brand new truck 6 months ago. Holding for evidence, won’t release it and he is still making $800 payments.
Speeding can be considered a factor. If the other person stopped and looked both ways, their judgement to cross is factored in by their anticipated speed of traffic on the road they're going to cross. Not all drivers take the time to study the traffic long enough to recognize a vehicle approaching at a high rate. Factor in trying to cross with multiple vehicles coming from both directions and/or trying to cross a 4 lane road and it's becomes a bigger factor. 5-10mph above will usually not be a enough to to affect the outcome but 20mph can change the whole scenario.

Even if indeed the other driver "blew a stop sign" and never stopped, the speed of the driver with the right of way adds to the severity of the damage and injuries.

Consider this. The person going thru the stop sign makes a innocent mistake either by judgement or simple misses seeing the stop sign. As careful as anyone is this can happen, that's why the term "accident" is applied. Speed limit on the road they're crossing is 40mph. The driver with the right of way is going 70mph. The driver going 70mph is doing so consciously, not accidently. The chances of someone being killed is dramatically higher because that driver was speeding. It's not always logical to absolve the speeding driver from any responsibility on the outcome.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bullshit. I've never had one in my truck and there ain't nobody putting one in my truck, either.

Not everybody needs to buy a new car every year to try and look a certain way aka keeping up with the Jones'

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Bullshit. I've never had one in my truck and there ain't nobody putting one in my truck, either.

Not everybody needs to buy a new car every year to try and look a certain way aka keeping up with the Jones'
Gm has put it in some cars since the early 90’s. When I was in high school I remember a story of a guy going to prison because his car recorded before a deadly accident.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
8,342 Posts
You guy wouldn't believe how many legal cases involving vehicle there are. I use to work for a company and we handled the vehicles that were involved in the legal case. I could tell you some of the best stories, I could probably wear out a key board with some of the stuff I've been involved with.
Those EDR's are some Attorneys worst friend and the best friend to a vehicle manufacture, I've never worked on a case with a vehicle that actually had one but IIRC GM started recording data in the 90's.
Back in the old days all you had to do to figure out vehicle speed at impact was measure how deep the front end was pushed in, then do some math and you'd have the speed, yep that's how it was done and probably is still done.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Speeding can be considered a factor. If the other person stopped and looked both ways, their judgement to cross is factored in by their anticipated speed of traffic on the road they're going to cross. Not all drivers take the time to study the traffic long enough to recognize a vehicle approaching at a high rate. Factor in trying to cross with multiple vehicles coming from both directions and/or trying to cross a 4 lane road and it's becomes a bigger factor. 5-10mph above will usually not be a enough to to affect the outcome but 20mph can change the whole scenario.

Even if indeed the other driver "blew a stop sign" and never stopped, the speed of the driver with the right of way adds to the severity of the damage and injuries.

Consider this. The person going thru the stop sign makes a innocent mistake either by judgement or simple misses seeing the stop sign. As careful as anyone is this can happen, that's why the term "accident" is applied. Speed limit on the road they're crossing is 40mph. The driver with the right of way is going 70mph. The driver going 70mph is doing so consciously, not accidently. The chances of someone being killed is dramatically higher because that driver was speeding. It's not always logical to absolve the speeding driver from any responsibility on the outcome.
According to the people involved it looked intentional like the guy committed suicide. The speed limit was 55 on a road that is notorious for accidents and speeding.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts