Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several topics on this and I have helped a guy that chased his rfi problems for a few years. My question is how far from ignition source do the controller wires need to be and do only the micro switch wire to the controller and the grounds for the solnoids need to be away from the ignition source. I am having a problem with my car where I don't think it's running like it should it's about .100 off and about 3-4 mph off. I have tried several converter in the car and it does the same thing on every one. The one in my car now is out of a car with a engine just like mine cars have same gears and pretty much same engine but the converter won't act the same in my car. Any input will help. My controller wires are about 5-6 from coil and 3-4 from the distributor. Always shows to be at 100% at the end of the run.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Something simple, but are you following installation directions provided with the controller?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes and no I don't use the relays like they do. But pretty much the same way the controller works fine as far as staying powered up and stuff like that just don't run like I think it should. I run on a .036 pill and can leave on 80% on a 275 drag radial. Plus it just don't run on the top end like I think it should.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've seen threads/postings in this section about these controllers that if you put 80% or above, the controller has a hard time in differenitating between 80% and just flat out 100% -- you can search in here to find a couple of threads on this --

Maybe what your feeling (or not feeling) at 80% is all its got cause it really giving it 100%.....?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'm thinking it's not really going to 100%. I am rewiring it right now and going to see what happens. I think it's working but the percent it says it's at is not correct.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cut a piece of aluminum plate and put behind it. also ground it to the battery.
Already done that when I put it in the car years ago. I know the percent it different but that's what I'm getting at. With the converter in my car right now. I shouldn't be leaving on 80%. The car it came out of has the same engine same trans low gear same rear end gear. With his car most he could leave with 20%. The converter would flash 5800 behind his and will only go 4600 in mine and my car just won't run on the top end.

·
6,384 Posts
something worth trying is installing an MSD noise filter, even if it doesn't cure this problem its a cheap item that can save you headaches down the road.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cant u just remove the noid grounds from the controller and ground them somewhere else and bypass the controller ??? just to see if its in the controller.

Just asking because i dont know.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Already done that when I put it in the car years ago. I know the percent it different but that's what I'm getting at. With the converter in my car right now. I shouldn't be leaving on 80%. The car it came out of has the same engine same trans low gear same rear end gear. With his car most he could leave with 20%. The converter would flash 5800 behind his and will only go 4600 in mine and my car just won't run on the top end.
converter is hurt.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
converter is hurt.
Nope it's a bolt together and it just come back from the company from being checked out. Plus another converter that was in my car was put in another car I drive. In my car would only flash 4400 also and in his car went 5600. I have been having this problem for a while but never realized it till this year after I did some upgrades to the engine and it never picked up any.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went from a 4150 to a 4500 carb. And have changed ignition boxes out in the process of all of this. Changed up some of the wiring on the controller will test it this weekend.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Are you running a vacuum pump? How much vac are you pulling?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I do. I don't know exactly what it's pulling but I do know it's over 10 when I cross the finish line cause I can let off and look and it's going back down.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had a discussion with Edelbrock about this the other day when I was mounting my progressive, and they told me that the controller needs to be a couple of feet away from the ignition box.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts