Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will begin to show, part of this engine Program. This engine is a 400 cid LS based engine that we hope will make 3 hp per cube. The LS engine has more potential than a traditional small block for several reasons. Bolt pattern and placement, cam tunnel and rigidity of the block.

This engine program is intended, ADRL Pro Stock and B/A in Comp. Tommy Keeter of KPE will be doing assembly, machining the block, heads and port incremental development off of WJ's initial design. Tommy will also design the valve train components. Tommy is doing a lot of engine development programs from NA to Trophy Trucks ( you should see his mild-mannered 900+ hp LS NA Trophy truck engines that runs for hours and hours. We are excited about Tommy's tuning on the Holley Dominator platform.

Here are the head castings, Tommy will be CNC machining this in-house at KPE, these heads are well over 500 cfm and very efficient

We also had a run of Dart LS Next Blocks done with blank lifters and water jacket revisions that can accommodate deck heights down to 8.600 These blocks are in Dart premium cast iron and Compacted graphite

Stef provided the dry sump pans

·
Registered
49,338 Posts
Looks cool to me. Good luck with it. 1200 from 400 is gettin it.
looks like they have a foundation to work from though, IIRC there was a 43x SBF that used to run at Milan all motor that looked to be making that kind of HP years ago, I think it had Blue thunder heads etc on it

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
You made a mistake by showing that here. The motor will be lucky to turn over and make 3 hp from the starter.

It's already been done and better years ago. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing . I did enjoy the pics and the expectations of the motor .

Guidance on cam selection and optimum compression will soon follow.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Several of use looked at using a ford block for heads like the LSX DR head for small cid NA small blocks where the requiredment were wedge OEM heads.

As far as showing these heads. Why not. I worked hard to make them a reality. The heads are a good alternative to the Fart head. I feel they have as good a chance as any to be the first LS headed 3 hp per cube.

Monday the chips start flying

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
Several of use looked at using a ford block for heads like the LSX DR head for small cid NA small blocks where the requiredment were wedge OEM heads.

As far as showing these heads. Why not. I worked hard to make them a reality. The heads are a good alternative to the Fart head. I feel they have as good a chance as any to be the first LS headed 3 hp per cube.

Monday the chips start flying
I look forward to this thread . Keep posting.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,513 Posts
What's with the ports being hidden with ms paint?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Good luck with the build.

The lack or rocker bar support is interesting.
Interesting pickup Chris. Doesnt look like it would have had any negative effects to add the material in those areas.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The blocks are the key to this deal. Dart Did their homework on the LS Next Block. Anyone that starts from scratch on a Small block really would be a long way ahead using the LS platform, and the Dart LS Next Block is the top of the line.

I can't wait to watch this year as we cycle heads off the Pro Stock engine and put them on a big inch motor. That Trophy truck engine makes 920s form a 496 for 15 hours. Tommy told me this morning that a reliable LS 454 with these heads would make around 1250 to 1300 hp.

·
35,163 Posts
I have a few LS Next blocks and they are nice pieces. The only benefit to an LS is the cylinder head bolt holes away from the cylinders... There's no other feature in the LS block that shines above the Gen1 Dart Race blocks... other than possibly deck height options. However with all the cylinder head development today in the LS market it is good common sense to do an LS engine.... depending on the application.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That's already been done with a Gen1 SB.
I Do not think anyone is even close on any NA engine unless it's a stupid happy dyno. I know what the fast Austrian 400s make on real dynos next to real 500 Pro Stock engines and they are just getting close to 3 hp per cube. Remember the 500 have basically the same stroke as a 400 with almost a half inch bigger bore and they are a few better than 3 hp per cube.

No matter the dyno, or the internet hp. The LS based head, be it our Edelbrock, or Richards Dart head will make more when the smoke clears on NA applications.

·
35,163 Posts
I Do not think anyone is even close on any NA engine unless it's a stupid happy dyno. I know what the fast Austrian 400s make on real dynos next to real 500 Pro Stock engines and they are just getting close to 3 hp per cube. Remember the 500 have basically the same stroke as a 400 with almost a half inch bigger bore and they are a few better than 3 hp per cube.

No matter the dyno, or the internet hp. The LS based head, be it our Edelbrock, or Richards Dart head will make more when the smoke clears on NA applications.

Just to continue to keep it real here and keep you accountable, there is nothing in an LS that will support more hp per CID than a Gen 1... absolutely zero.

So please, you are welcome to pump your engine and your hero, but do not become one of these LS Kids who has new revelation about engines since the LS.

·
35,163 Posts
Back to a technical discussion.

Do you plan to mill off those rocker pads to get into a flat robust platform for a rocker bar?

Because right now that's a disaster in the making. There's no consistent platform per cylinder for rocker bar mounting and certainly no real estate for a bolt pattern that will stabilize the bar.

Right now you're welding pads to the heads, or machining those stanchions off, and or all of the above and welding a bar across the head.

What's the plan?

1 - 20 of 235 Posts