Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious what others keep on them in regards to their daily routine. The only thing I carry is Penlight, utility Knife, and a small Tape measure. But I am thinking about a Multi-tool. My position in a Maintenance department has changed and I spend more time in front of a computer now however I still have to strap the Boots on go at it hands-on which is fine with me.....

One of the smartest people I ever met in maintenance always carried a basic multi-tool and an adjustable Wrench. Simple and effective. So if this is you what do you carry and where are you making the purchases?

JW

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Pocket screwdriver, pen pocket notebook, pocket flashlight, knife and a 4" adjustable wrench, iphone. Most of the people i work with say"well look at you" when I pop that wrench out and have one of their own about a month later. All the rest in the tool bucket. And yeah I am sometimes a nerd and use a pocket protector in my tee shirt. Reason is i can just pull the protector out and set it done when i bend over and look down a unit i am working on , so i don't drop the carp out of my pocket. A smaller enough notebook also stays dry from sweat.
JMO,I haven't found a multi tool to be very useful myself.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Current job, all I carry is a small flashlight. Before we are allowed to touch anything, there is paperwork to be done: create a work order, write a pre task plan, etc... fucking safety bullshit.

Previous job, I would have a 9/16" wrench, 3/16" hex key, small screwdriver, and flashlight in my pockets when walking the plant.

Just depends on what things you know you will need to adjust or whatnot on a daily basis. I hate multi tools and find them nearly worthless.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current job, all I carry is a small flashlight. Before we are allowed to touch anything, there is paperwork to be done: create a work order, write a pre task plan, etc... fucking safety bullshit.

Previous job, I would have a 9/16" wrench, 3/16" hex key, small screwdriver, and flashlight in my pockets when walking the plant.

Just depends on what things you know you will need to adjust or whatnot on a daily basis. I hate multi tools and find them nearly worthless.
I have yet to handle a Multi-tool that makes any sense to me either...... It was one of the reasons I created this. To see if I was just not seeing one that made sense....

As for safety, well that's a whole different topic but it is becoming prevalent more and more daily in out plant. That's not a bad thing. I have already seen enough to make me cringe a few times.... And I have only been there about 5 months...

JW

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
75% of what I do is with a small "tactical" flashlight, a small flat blade screwdriver, and small Allen wrenches. Most of my job is adjusting eyes, sensors, and mounting brackets.

I always though the tactical flashlights were bullshit. Company provided this one off Amazon. It had rechargeable batteries that last almost a month between charging.

·
Pontiac NUT
6,290 Posts
Usually just a pen light. We aren’t allowed to do any repairs without paperwork unless it looks like it wasn’t repaired and just started working.😒😂 I am trying to get management to allow us a general diagnose and repair package that will allow us to do small repairs that do not need LOTO.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Retired now. Spent 43 years doing industrial maintenance. The place I worked was huge and I didnt want to make two trips. I always kept a pouch. If that was not going to be enough I came down and got my box. We were radio dispatched so sometimes I would holler at the guys on the radio to grab my box on the way up to help..
Picture frame Gas Technology Machine Electronic device

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I use one of these.

It just slips over your belt and latches with velcro. On or off in seconds. Carry whatever you want within reason.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Multi-tool, 8"adjustable, 10"channel locks...does most stuff I need in a pinch.

BUT, when we're called on radio to a job, 90%+ of the time I know what I need (21yrs. at this plant) Even have a lot of the belts memorized as often as we go through them.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I work on aircraft. We are not allowed to have ANY non engraved tools on our person. Every tool MUST be identified and MUST be checked out and accounted for. Also, no cell phones, hearing aids (with out specific model and serial numbers recorded with program Security). Anything not permanently attached to the airplane (per Engineering drawing) is considered FOD!!! Even a plastic cap on a unused ground stud is a BIG deal. One of my coworkers dropped a 5/16" wrench fixing a bad fastener. He and another mechanic looked for 3 hours trying to find it. Second shift had 6 mechanics and Two RVI folks looking for it, then Third shift had another 6 mechanics and 2 RVI folks looking for it. Then we came back in and 7-8 more mechanics and 3 RVI folks also kept looking for it. Literally 24 hours after the fact, a mechanic was climbing out of the area and heard it go "clink" and found it. Right where everyone (including me) had looked.
RVI=Remote Visual Inspection. They have really cool snake cameras that can get into some VERY small spaces up to 50ft. away in full color and very high definition. We utilize them often to verify a nut/bolt has been installed, or verify a serial number without tearing a bunch of shit apart, or find a tool, nut, bolt, scraper, rag, etc. that you might have dropped.
I once dropped a plastic scraper in a $12 million engine. Not inside of it, but behind a heat shield. 4 guys looked for it and we couldn't find it. Called RVI out and the guy came out with his FM tool (Fuckin Magic Tool) and asked me where I thought it was? I said here is where I dropped it it, so it should be in this area. He looked (with his million dollar snake camera in his hand) and said "You mean THIS plastic scraper?". Yep, he found it with his eyes only.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I work on aircraft. We are not allowed to have ANY non engraved tools on our person. Every tool MUST be identified and MUST be checked out and accounted for. Also, no cell phones, hearing aids (with out specific model and serial numbers recorded with program Security). Anything not permanently attached to the airplane (per Engineering drawing) is considered FOD!!! Even a plastic cap on a unused ground stud is a BIG deal. One of my coworkers dropped a 5/16" wrench fixing a bad fastener. He and another mechanic looked for 3 hours trying to find it. Second shift had 6 mechanics and Two RVI folks looking for it, then Third shift had another 6 mechanics and 2 RVI folks looking for it. Then we came back in and 7-8 more mechanics and 3 RVI folks also kept looking for it. Literally 24 hours after the fact, a mechanic was climbing out of the area and heard it go "clink" and found it. Right where everyone (including me) had looked.
RVI=Remote Visual Inspection. They have really cool snake cameras that can get into some VERY small spaces up to 50ft. away in full color and very high definition. We utilize them often to verify a nut/bolt has been installed, or verify a serial number without tearing a bunch of shit apart, or find a tool, nut, bolt, scraper, rag, etc. that you might have dropped.
I once dropped a plastic scraper in a $12 million engine. Not inside of it, but behind a heat shield. 4 guys looked for it and we couldn't find it. Called RVI out and the guy came out with his FM tool (Fuckin Magic Tool) and asked me where I thought it was? I said here is where I dropped it it, so it should be in this area. He looked (with his million dollar snake camera in his hand) and said "You mean THIS plastic scraper?". Yep, he found it with his eyes only.
My dad was a AV mechanic in the Navy. He has told us many stories about the Hanger sweeps. The best of the best eventually have this happen and the only thing you can do is go hunting. I posted last week about Shadowing for tool boxes and it's related to 6sigma. We need tool control at work. The other week we found 2 screwdrivers in a place on a manufacturing line and they had been there for a while. The implication of what happens if that tool obstucts the mechanical process of the machine dwarfs the cost of tools..... And this is why I feel a company should not provide you with tools and the employee should buy their own. It makes a person pay more attention that way.....

JW

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
How did you get this far in life without a multitool? It should have arrived with your man card.

More serious answer: no idea, but if you are working your tools hard Leatherman has a good warranty program. What do you find yourself reaching for the most right now, screwdriver? Wrenches? Pliers? There are some specialty multitools that might do what you need most - which may not be the same as others - but more likely you need a small collection of tools in a mini go bag or pouch.

Then, I bring you... ;)

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
I hate carrying anything. Pockets or belt. Even when I worked in the office, I'd usually put my keys, wallet, etc. in my desk drawer once I got there. If I know I'll need something, fine. I'm not going to haul shit around all day if there's a reasonable chance I won't need it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
There was a guy in a plant I used to visit that had a denim jacket that had pockets and pouches sewn inside to stow all the go to small tools an electrical tech might need throughout the course of a day to fix little things you might stumble upon. He wore it year round no matter the heat.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a guy in a plant I used to visit that had a denim jacket that had pockets and pouches sewn inside to stow all the go to small tools an electrical tech might need throughout the course of a day to fix little things you might stumble upon. He wore it year round no matter the heat.
Smart man. Efficient and less walking lol....

jw

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
When I did plant maintenance, about 1 in 3 service calls could be taken care of with a Leatherman multi-tool and a flashlight. Add up the time saved per week and then multiply by the number of people in your department. It's a lot of time saved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts