Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
can do it with 550" conventional head "dart pro 1" no problem... That is if you are talking cast maniold and single 4. BK

·
Registered
344 Posts
Try a 648 with Big Chief heads. :smt023

·
Registered
545 Posts
Call Sonny Leonard, it worked for me. Just get a one/off cast manifold for his 762 hemi headed motor and make 1300hp. Its only money

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Buy somebodies used 632 with Big Chief style heads, there are a ton out there and pretty cheap too. Don't try to be a hero re-inventing the wheel or "Going where no man as gone before" by getting into some crazy smallblock.

My humble opinion
tom cowle

·
Registered
545 Posts
KIRK ADAMS said:
Wont be a small block.............gunna be a big block but I wanna go about it in a different way than teh ol' 632 rout.....LQQKING to go a LiL smaller... 8)
How about the pro stock route, 4.600+ bore, 3.750 stroke, put the Big Duke head on it and rev the snot out of it.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Call Mark Pawuk shop, they have several 500" engines for sale, some old school and some newer 4.90 bs dilly's floating around there. He had several for sale a while back and the prices were literally pennies on the dollar.

I'd still do the 632, you can say its any cubic inch you want.

Tom Cowle

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Wow... gone hunting for 6 days and the place falls apart 8)

Well, the 'easiest' way would mean the cheapest, with the least amount of maintenance.

That means the largest CID possible. And by possible I mean it depends on rule requirements if any... such as intake manifold, carburetor(s), etc.

You say you don't want to do the 630 route, but now you're wanting to work harder, spend more money and beat on parts... that does not fit the bill of easy.

Around 630 cubes, big chief head type head, and be done. That spells easy.

We could do around 560 cubes, conventional head like a Pro1, and get close to 1100 but you're going to be working the parts inside the engine much harder... that doesn't make sense unless you're already sitting on parts, or constrained by rules.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
There's nothing heroic about building a small engine to try and make big power. I'm certain when I say there are much better places for people to dump their obsessive passions that this.

The common sense thing to do is build it as big as possible (like a 632 CID) and put a very. very good pair of heads on it (like the current Big Chief).

To do it any other way, you're facing high initial cost, premature component failure due to excessive engine speeds, an engine that falls out of tune easier, ultra-low resale value, and most of all an engine that ALMOST performs as well as the bigger one.

1100 HP isn't going to happen with a conventional BBC cylinder head & one carb unless either your dyno operator's working his best magic for you or you've spent way too much money on welding, etc. to get heads to work that aren't worth anything on the resale market.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Impecable timing on the post Chris. :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Pretty crazy.

Did you have that disk we talked about?

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Look at racingjunk...you can score a badass 600+ cube motor for under 20k from what I've seen.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Try this...
http://steveschmidtracing.com/ssr_006.htm

565 schmidt motor.

24,500 dynoed and shipped to your door.

1150 hp with a single 4. I don't know if the tunnel ram is a problem but it is a cast manifold, right? Food for thought.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts