Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Plain & Simple
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a small project of making a small in-ground dog pool and was wondering what the easiest way of digging would be? Plan on installing a plasic pool,or ?? into the ground.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Dig it by hand man. It's not that hard if you aren't really old and lazy. I'm 37 and an apprentice in another new trade. I have recently dug 8'x8' by 4' deep holes for concrete bases for electrical switching cube bases. Starting at 8am, I'd have it dug out by 2pm waiting for the picker to show up and lift and lower the base in.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Dig it by hand man. It's not that hard if you aren't really old and lazy. I'm 37 and an apprentice in another new trade. I have recently dug 8'x8' by 4' deep holes for concrete bases for electrical switching cube bases. Starting at 8am, I'd have it dug out by 2pm waiting for the picker to show up and lift and lower the base in.
When your 57 you will possibly have the knowledge and wisdom to say I should have used the equipment. If at 57 you dont think so give it a few more years. At 37 I thought nothing of manual labor also. Your body will remind you when you get older.

OP You wanted to know "what the easiest way of digging would be?"
Rent a small backhoe or mini-excavator. You will be done way quicker and the dogs will get to enjoy it much sooner. ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
A Master Operator used a Front End Loader with a bucket attachment to dig mine. Never touched a shovel...had no help, only several Dump trucks that would show up, get filled and leave. Truck drivers never left the truck. Looked like he was having fun and get'n paid for it!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Renting equipment may get out of hand, price wise, quickly if you need to have it delivered. Get a good pick ax and shovel and have at it, even if you do a little every day, it shouldn't take long.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Did not dig a pool but had my crawl space flood due to well pipe cracked at the entrance to the foundation. I rented a mini with the mid size bucket. I think it was 16". Had to go down 4 feet, ended up digging a four foot wide by 10 feet long trench. Used my neighbors truck and it was 250 to rent.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Its a mini pool, five feet in diameter and a foot deep. Dig it by hand with a shovel for christ sakes.

Wtf..rent a back hoe/ excavation equipment, you got to be fucking kidding me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
Prob would help to know the size of the dog pool-if a 15' x 30' x 4', yea, get a digger.
If like a childs wadding pool, I would knock that out with a shovel if phy able.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
if you have a tiller run it in a circle and break up the soil then shovel into a wheelbarrow and get rid of it.
I have used a tiller for patios, footers etc. a few passes and all the dirt is loose, rake or shovel out of the way
Working on a paver patio right now, have to go down 4 inches to get sub grade make a pass wife shovels it into wheelbarrow and I dump it on some low spots I have

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
if you have a tiller run it in a circle and break up the soil then shovel into a wheelbarrow and get rid of it.
I have used a tiller for patios, footers etc. a few passes and all the dirt is loose, rake or shovel out of the way
Working on a paver patio right now, have to go down 4 inches to get sub grade make a pass wife shovels it into wheelbarrow and I dump it on some low spots I have
Yes... It all depends on the type of dirt.
Some dirt is easily dig-able. Some dirt is so hard, you can't even stomp a shovel in it. For this, you need a mattic or a pick-ax. Now, if this kind of ground has a bunch of roots and rocks in it, have fun... You'll probably be there all day just moving enough dirt for a baby pool. lol

If the dirt isn't like this, just shovel the damn thing out. :-D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Have a small project of making a small in-ground dog pool and was wondering what the easiest way of digging would be? Plan on installing a plasic pool,or ?? into the ground.
Its a mini pool, five feet in diameter and a foot deep. Dig it by hand with a shovel for christ sakes.

Wtf..rent a back hoe/ excavation equipment, you got to be fucking kidding me.:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. He said plastic pool so I'm willing to bet it's one of those little kid wading pools no bigger than what the second poster described. Shit I could dig that by hand and I'm an old fuck.

But no, let's spend a couple hundred bucks renting equipment to install a $10 pool.

This works well if you have a tiller, and aren't completely afraid of a little manual labor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts