Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone

Are there any shops around that specialize in maximizing early SBC cast iron heads? Everything...porting, largest spring setup, guides etc.

I know that you can get cast iron aftermarket to work better but just interested in the older stuff.

·
23,392 Posts
Why don't you do as much of it as you can yourself. It's not that hard to make a real big difference.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I notice that Randy is not volunteering, even though I think that he has a lot of experience with iron heads. Maybe I am wrong?

·
Registered
28,954 Posts
I notice that Randy is not volunteering, even though I think that he has a lot of experience with iron heads. Maybe I am wrong?
I’m not volunteering, because the guys that did it for me are retired. Ron’s Porting Service, was one of the best. John Haskell of Aire Research was the best. And I know he retired. Heads Up was one of the best, but he passed away. Do they still do them? I think someone else took it over.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mike Stark at CFM performance. I got 452 Horsepower from a set of 1962 327/300 HP heads he ported on a 9.6:1 stroked 1962 327. Dart 200 CC aluminum pro 1 platinum heads were worth 11 HP over my 300 horse door stoppers. AFR 195 heads were worth 40 HP over the Darts. All done on the same dyno over two days.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I’m not volunteering, because the guys that did it for me are retired. Ron’s Porting Service, was one of the best. John Haskell of Aire Research was the best. And I know he retired. Heads Up was one of the best, but he passed away. Do they still do them? I think someone else took it over.
Randy

Randy Brewer was Dave Layers right hand man and after Daves passing purchased the business. They specialize in Stock and Superstock eliminator heads. Most of those are cast iron.
Heads Up Cylinder Heads
Dayton Ohio

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I do my own porting, my heads are cast iron but aftermarket my old heads was a1970 Dooe ford factory stuff, Gpa taught me the do and don't back in the early 1990, while I am not a pro I do very decent , current heads flow 310/246 @.650 and have been on 2 different flow benches and was within 5 cfm , bad thing about cast iron is 1 , cast iron makes a freaking huge mess and 2 it takes forever to do a full port job, you can spent about 2hr per head and not go crazy and get some results, the thing about old Dooe heads and the Chevy camel heads 461--461x etc is that they flow so bad that any porting will get results unless you just totally hose it up , there is certain area of the port that you don't touch , it is getting harder to find someone to even port cast iron ..I will not do it either it is just to time consuming compared to the cost and hrs it takes vs the outcome and cost to buy a aftermarket head that will flow more out of the box as cast then a fully ported set of factory heads

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Heads up is still in business. I bought some gaskets for the heads that were done by them. Awesome work.

·
Registered
28,954 Posts
I do my own porting, my heads are cast iron but aftermarket my old heads was a1970 Dooe ford factory stuff, Gpa taught me the do and don't back in the early 1990, while I am not a pro I do very decent , current heads flow 310/246 @.650 and have been on 2 different flow benches and was within 5 cfm , bad thing about cast iron is 1 , cast iron makes a freaking huge mess and 2 it takes forever to do a full port job, you can spent about 2hr per head and not go crazy and get some results, the thing about old Dooe heads and the Chevy camel heads 461--461x etc is that they flow so bad that any porting will get results unless you just totally hose it up , there is certain area of the port that you don't touch , it is getting harder to find someone to even port cast iron ..I will not do it either it is just to time consuming compared to the cost and hrs it takes vs the outcome and cost to buy a aftermarket head that will flow more out of the box as cast then a fully ported set of factory heads
I have to post this now that John Haskell is retired. He would fill the bottom of the intake port on bow tie phase2 heads about .300, and fill both sides of the port about .150 with epoxy, and raise the top as far as he could. Small port, that flowed around 298. He would anchor the epoxy by drilling holes in the bottom, and sides. Beautiful work. And I think took a 1204 gasket.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,048 Posts
Tried to contact them, no reply.

Very common in this business, poor customer service.
Poor customer service is a staple of a majority of companies that provide some sort of goods or services these days, whether automotive-related or not. In my experience, you're more likely to randomly receive crappy customer service than you are decent service. If you receive any at all.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Randy is busy as hell right now as class racing is just starting for the season. He is selling the heck out of his new head packages, as a friend of mine just got his last week and we dyno'ed the day after. Don't call at lunch time, as there is only 2 guys in that shop and they both leave for lunch.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Why don't you do as much of it as you can yourself. It's not that hard to make a real big difference.
Not a good idea to do port work unless you have access to a flow bench. Often times a port that "looks" good has been ruined by taking material from the wrong places. Matching the ports and cleaning the bowl (slightly!) is all that the novice head porter should attempt on their own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts