Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a few Chevy/GMC Duramax powered trucks that are in the '02 to '04 year range. What problems did these earlier Duramax trucks have?
I've always heard the later model ('05 and newer) were better, but they're all priced too high for me.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Injectors are really the only common prob. I have an 01 and my dad and uncle both have 03's and none of us ever had a lick of trouble.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Injectors for sure but when I sold these things - since the assembly plant is in my town when folks bought used they also always looked at the vin # on the engine reference assembly date. Wouldn't another option be to install a newer engine?

·
Cowboy up
1,690 Posts
Injectors in the lb7 motors, but it's a free replacement under recall. No problems with the LLY in 04.5 really. ALL duramax's are good.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
We had an 04 that kept blowing antifreeze down the passenger side of the truck. After 9 trips to the dealership, replacing a radiator cap, head gaskets, heads, and other stuff we traded and got a dodge. The injector harness also went bad.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Injectors, change the fuel filter every 10k miles and that should help with the injector problem. Water pumps are common coolant leaks. The transmission to radiator cooler line is a common transmission fluid leak.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a friend that bought a new 2001,dmax,regular cab 4x4 and never got over 11 mpg.Not sure what the problem was but after a few trips to the dealer,he sold it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
INJECTORS, BUT THEY ARE COVERED FOR 7YRS./200k MILES. THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS ALSO, BUT THAT IS A GM PROBLEM, NOT DURAMAX SPECIFIC. THEY HAD A RECALL ON THOSE ALSO, BUT ONLY UP TO 80k MILES.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Almost all of the LB7 are over 7 years old so they are out of the Special Policy. A few of the 04 are still under 7years. Sometimes they will Goodwill one that is older but that would only be to someone who bought the truck new.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gauge Cluster, oil pressure who rise and speedometer would fall to zero on trips, other than injectors which is most diesels. Awesome trucks pull great and pretty good fuel mileage, Check with local dealer ship even though warranty might be out so of the gage cluster problems are still covered.

·
Registered
896 Posts
like everyone else said, injectors. its a pretty penny to replace them as well. most guy seem to get 150k miles out of them. i have an 03 with only 73k miles on it and never a problem with this thing since it left the dealer lot. all 73k miles have had an edge juice with attitude as well. love pre-emissions diesels. i get a real world 20-22 mpg on the highway as well. put a load on it or hills and obviously it changes. i drive 75 mph minimum on the highway.

i love this truck.

·
Registered
763 Posts
like everyone else said, injectors. its a pretty penny to replace them as well. most guy seem to get 150k miles out of them. i have an 03 with only 73k miles on it and never a problem with this thing since it left the dealer lot. all 73k miles have had an edge juice with attitude as well. love pre-emissions diesels. i get a real world 20-22 mpg on the highway as well. put a load on it or hills and obviously it changes. i drive 75 mph minimum on the highway.

i love this truck.
Injector replacement is right around the corner for you, LOL. Mine made it to 81K. I am getting ready to do mine in the next few weeks. My truck smokes like you wouldnt believe, crop dusts the whole intersection. Still runs great though.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
81,026 Posts
DID THE CLUSTER AND THE INJECTORS UNDER WARRANTY.....BEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWNED

·
Registered
896 Posts
Injector replacement is right around the corner for you, LOL. Mine made it to 81K. I am getting ready to do mine in the next few weeks. My truck smokes like you wouldnt believe, crop dusts the whole intersection. Still runs great though.
if i have to put a set of 1800 dollar injectors every 8 years and thats the only problem i have, i will take that all day for the next 8 years for sure! last time i figured, an injector change is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new 50K+ dollar diesel like the new ones are going for!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts