Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Ive always thought a 70 Torino/Falcon would look killer in Prostock..they were bigger than the mustang obviously, but pretty cars.
A friend had a '70 429 Falcon, rare but available, that would've fit the bill nicely. I always thought it was much quicker than a Mustang. I never understood why someone didn't build a P/S AMX since many of the early P/S cars came from factory S/S cars. I heard a rumor NHRA will be adding P/S to its Heritage Series. My opinion is that it'll ruin the "flavor" of what many of us want to achieve

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A friend had a '70 429 Falcon, rare but available, that would've fit the bill nicely. I always thought it was much quicker than a Mustang. I never understood why someone didn't build a P/S AMX since many of the early P/S cars came from factory S/S cars. I heard a rumor NHRA will be adding P/S to its Heritage Series. My opinion is that it'll ruin the "flavor" of what many of us want to achieve

you know, youre absolutely right, i cant recall ever seeing a P/S AMX...i wonder if they couldnt put the package together back then to be competitive like they were in S/S

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
you know, youre absolutely right, i cant recall ever seeing a P/S AMX...i wonder if they couldnt put the package together back then to be competitive like they were in S/S
It never made sense to me. Wally Booth & Maskin & Kanners were pretty successful at a time when P/S was getting more technical so their old S/S combo should have been workable.

I believe that these 'oddball" engines could have ben used with carb spacers on the period correct twin 4-barrel intakes of the day. My proposed P/S rules wouldn't allow for sheetmetal intakes so the racers would have to improvise in that area. I know they DID build tunnel-rams for some of them but I haven't seen one for an AMC engine in decades.

The Buick motors would have to utilize the spacer "idea while even an Olds P/Ser would be do-able with today's technology.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
So I looked at a thread in TOBT and saw Buick actually had a P/S program in the works! And now some shops are actually developing stuff based off it for Buick racers. However the Buick guys seem a little short-sighted & aren't even playing with the idea of using these engines in a Skyhawk. They're bragging about their ability to run 10s in a GS. Can you imagine if those engines went into something really built light & for racing? THERE'S your competitive Buick! Now if only AMC guys would step up as much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is the nose on that stretched?
I can't say. I do believe that Mecum Auctions had the real deal on the block in both 2011 and 2012.

Link to auction listing and some great photos

I am not making ANY claims as to the authenticity of the Pinto on Racing Junk. I have seen way too much in the way of false claims in the 'Net age. Color me skeptical. If I was an interested party I would become a Missourian real fast - "Show Me." I would simply call the seller. Then I'd find people that could verify it was Bob's car.

One more data set. Here are a bunch of photos of Glidden's Pinto - the car being sold on RJ certainly looks right as far as the images on RJ go. I remain skeptical.

This is a great thread. I'd love to have a vintage PS car.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
ANY old race car is gonna be tough to verify. I recently passed on one cause the seller, a friend of mine, wouldn't budge on the price. He offered to help prove its validity & I would have bought it. But to get it to certify by today's standards was so out of my budget I had to pass. And this car may be no different.
It may very well be one of Glidden's old cars & I'm sure you could find people to confirm or refute it, but once you have it AS IT SITS, if it can't pass tech you have a high-dollar lawn ornament. Sorry, that's not for me. Those of us that want the old P/S cars to actually use have to make concessions, hunt REAL hard for them & hope we can make them work...……….that or simply build a clone which I think I'm gonna be stuck having to do...….

·
Registered
10 Posts
ANY old race car is gonna be tough to verify. I recently passed on one cause the seller, a friend of mine, wouldn't budge on the price. He offered to help prove its validity & I would have bought it. But to get it to certify by today's standards was so out of my budget I had to pass. And this car may be no different.
It may very well be one of Glidden's old cars & I'm sure you could find people to confirm or refute it, but once you have it AS IT SITS, if it can't pass tech you have a high-dollar lawn ornament. Sorry, that's not for me. Those of us that want the old P/S cars to actually use have to make concessions, hunt REAL hard for them & hope we can make them work...……….that or simply build a clone which I think I'm gonna be stuck having to do...….
True enough.

As for your friend, I may know know the type. When this type(if I may play armchair psychologist for a bit) buys something, it is nearly worthless; but when they sell it, it lays golden eggs.

Re. The Glidden Pinto.
If you're looking to squirrel it away in a museum, it's potential gold. If not, it would not only be a shame to cut it up to meet today's SFI cert(s).

Then, as you state, there is the cost; prohibitive for your needs/budget.

On a related note...

I had a chance to pick up a V&H PSM about 10 years ago(Lawson Replica Kaw.). I passed on it as it was really butchered.

On motorcycle chassis requirements..

Of course there are almost no requirements for motorcycle chassis - so a "run whatcha brung" ethos seems a constant in the sportsman motorcycle classes.

On desires, drive, and access to funding anything..

Like everyone with a bit of disposable income, if something interesting passes my way AND I can justify its possession somehow, I will likely own it.

Best of success with your build!

PS. If you start a build thread, I will follow.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Good point on the SFI. Personally, I'd be inclined to put together a mild 351C with a tunnel ram, something that could run a 10.0 anywhere, and bracket race the bejeesus out of it. What would that Glidden Pinto weigh? 2400 with a 200 lb driver? You could build a basically stock Boss 351 that makes 450-490 hp, put a 4k converter behind hit, and 4.56 gears and run low tens all day. Be the coolest car in the pits.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
We purchased Bert Straus's home in Kitchener :eek: The original Chilly Willy was apparently built in the shop next door . He ran a gas station up the road and I remember seeing the Willys at that station , many moons ago ! ...Trevor

·
46,936 Posts
We purchased Bert Straus's home in Kitchener :eek: The original Chilly Willy was apparently built in the shop next door . He ran a gas station up the road and I remember seeing the Willys at that station , many moons ago ! ...Trevor
But, Chilly Willy is a Gasser, not a Pro-Stock. Good story though.

On a side note, Chilly Willy is still around.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
!

If you start a build thread, I will follow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. We're kind of "negotiating" right now. If it works out, it'll be your basic Hemi Duster with some suspension upgrades (un seeable) to insure it'll hook & go straight.

There's a guy in NJ that's running one of S&M's old Dusters and he seems to get "it"---car looks original, has some updates so it can be used and turns reasonably good times. For that matter the whole Midwest Nostalgia P/S Assoc. seems to have the right idea although looking at their rules they seem a bit restrictive to me & seem to knock-out almost any pre-'73 P/S cars. My rules/ideas allow them to compete & be competitive with each other despite the vast difference in build. I'm hoping the local track buys into it when I present it...…...

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
But, Chilly Willy is a Gasser, not a Pro-Stock. Good story though.

On a side note, Chilly Willy is still around.
I talked to the guy with the tribute reproduction Chilly Willy at the strip years ago. He had a spare Jerico in a lexan carrying case in his trailer :cool:

I heard from some of the local carguys that Strauss had trouble paying the bills , and the Astre never qualified for a national event :(

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I believe the Glidden pinto is stock length nose, but again, without measuring, whos to know. Which brings up another point...

These old pro stocks (and every other race car to this day Id guess) have tricks done to it no one will ever notice unless they have a stocker next to it. Obvious Smokey Yunick comes to mind haha

One reason why I love old race cars...youll find SOMETHING thats not quite factory when it "should" be

21 - 40 of 92 Posts