Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent found a thread anywhere, so I figured Id ask start one.

As a natural progression from the 60s era AFX, Funny car and gas class stuff I grew up checking out on magazines, Ive been really thinking about collecting the right parts for a "period correct"Pro stock type car. Being a Ford guy mainly, Id do a Maverick or Comet, but I admit the Mopars of the day were tough!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I've been looking at the same thing----Even have a tentative set of rules for a nostalgia P/S group that, if I can get some financial support for it, should work out pretty well. My interest is in the Mopars of the era. The OP may want to contact a few of the old P/S guys that are still around as I'm sure they'd help. I know Dick Hedman is here locally & liked the idea when I spoke to him.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking at the same thing----Even have a tentative set of rules for a nostalgia P/S group that, if I can get some financial support for it, should work out pretty well. My interest is in the Mopars of the era. The OP may want to contact a few of the old P/S guys that are still around as I'm sure they'd help. I know Dick Hedman is here locally & liked the idea when I spoke to him.....

Ive spoken to a bunch of old racers, they always have the best stories. Ive started collecting parts to give my 65 Comet a late 60s/early 70s feel, but my father has a 71 Maverick, a cleveland, top loaded, dana 60, few sets of gyros etc that could become a car quick. Something I was surprised to learn, the Mavericks and Comets were delivered with stock bench seat and truck dana 60s in them to make weight

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
if you do Facebook...there is a Nostalgia Pro Stock group on there...lots of old photos and seems to still be guys that were around back then comment

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
So this my friend Harold Dutton the "Drag Hag" Maverick. This car won the very first NHRA Pro Stock race ever.

As for proper equipment to duplicate it.... This car had a Boss 429 and Top Loader. Gonna take some $$$$$ to do one right. I do agree with you that cars of this era look great...
Will

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you do Facebook...there is a Nostalgia Pro Stock group on there...lots of old photos and seems to still be guys that were around back then comment
So this my friend Harold Dutton the "Drag Hag" Maverick. This car won the very first NHRA Pro Stock race ever.

As for proper equipment to duplicate it.... This car had a Boss 429 and Top Loader. Gonna take some $$$$$ to do one right. I do agree with you that cars of this era look great...
Will
Pinto for the Win!
Moredoor Maverick ! ...Trevor

Im a member of a few old prostock pages, besides a bit of drama from one or 2 guys, theyre good pages

I know the drag Hag well, my father has photos and articles on it. An era correct car wont be cheap, thats for sure, The saving grace is Clevelands were popular, and now they make the Boss 9 and Cammer stuff, so feasibly you could do one without having to hunt the old stuff. I did just pick up pair of gyros for my 65 Comet

The Pintos looks so killer in Pro Stock Form!!! I never liked the likes of the 4 door Comets and Mavericks, but it worked and obviously put a hurt on a bunch of competitors cars haha

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I'm about ready to sell/trade off my Hemi Dart body for the project. If anyone knows of a Colt or '70-'72 Duster that's available, please PM me. I've been "jonsing" for an old P/S car for awhile. The car IS complete & could, technically, be used as an early P/S car but there's a particular old P/S Duster I'd like to and I can only afford one car at a time.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
With today's technology & crate motors from various engine shops doing a nostalgia P/S car wouldn't be all that tough. Most of the stuff to make a genuine old P/S car is SO OLD not too many people want it or can use it. Hell, I got a Weiand tunnel-ram for my Hemi free as the machine shop had no use for it---I skeletonized it like they used to and ---viola' ! A period correct intake. Now all I have to do is find some old Dominators & I'm set...…..

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
While we're on the topic of "builds" here, why not some ideas for some "phantom" (cars that could have been built) P/S cars. I'll start--------
A BUICK :shock: Skyhawk (think Chevy Monza) with a 455, Stage 1 or 2 headed engine using 2-4bbls. Not cheap, but with today's technology not a hard car to build.
This is kind of waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the the normal path, but you get the idea & the possibilities.

·
47,572 Posts
I've got an Astre, thinking about doing a pro stock build with it. There were a few back in the 70's.
There are a few. I had one as well. A 1977 Pontiac Formula Astre.

·
47,572 Posts

·
47,572 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While we're on the topic of "builds" here, why not some ideas for some "phantom" (cars that could have been built) P/S cars. I'll start--------
A BUICK :shock: Skyhawk (think Chevy Monza) with a 455, Stage 1 or 2 headed engine using 2-4bbls. Not cheap, but with today's technology not a hard car to build.
This is kind of waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the the normal path, but you get the idea & the possibilities.

Ive always thought a 70 Torino/Falcon would look killer in Prostock..they were bigger than the mustang obviously, but pretty cars.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts