Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 200$ worth of Earl's swivel seal fittings that are used. I took them apart so I could reuse them and noticed that the rubber hose is stuck down in the cutter on almost all of them and it aint coming out easy. I called some tech line for Earl's fittings and the guy I talked to said he didn't know how to get them apart or clean them out. He asked some of the other people there and they didn't help either. Did a search and came up with nothing.

So, to ask the question I also ruined a -12 90* so yall could see what I'm talking about. Below are two pictures of the stuck rubber hose in the cutter and a pic of where I ground the hex down and was able to tap the retainer pin out (it goes all the way around).

While taking the fitting all the way apart like this does solve the problem of getting the rubber out, it also ruins the fitting so that is gay.

What can I do? This is really going to piss me off if I can't reuse these.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
exacto and pick it out should not be that hard just some time

Tim

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If you find one of the right size maybe this would work :

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
take and put the fitting in a vice to hold it. heat the rubber with a propane torch and then use a pick to get it out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
dont know what it'll do to the anodizing, but try soaking that piece in a bucket of chem-dip as it pretty much dissolves rubber. Great stuff for cleaning carbs. Not sure if it will dissolve the hose rubber, but any o-rings soaked in that stuff are pretty much gone after a day of soaking. Autozone or advance usually has a bucket of it.

Actually, nevermind, as it'll ruin all other o-rings on that. you're stuck picking it out, i'd say

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Brake clean. It softens rubber and causes it to fall apart. There are still a few parts stores that sell it in bulk cans, so get that if you can find it. Otherwise get a few cans and spray them into a covered bucket until you have about an inch or so in the bottom and drop them in to soak for a while. Make sure it's the non-flammible kind...........Safety Clean solvent does the same thing as well, drop them in the solvent tank and let them sit a few hours...........Then take a small pick and it will come right out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I got to thinking about the problem, if you take and thin the end of a sodering iron tip to get in the area and melt the hose?

Just a thought holp you figure out a good way cuz them fittings are to much $$$ to toss.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
A little heat and it will come right out. As previously pointed out a small propane tourch and a little heat will do the trick.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Im gonna chime in here for a minute......

If you have taken the fittings apart like in the one picture, file them away in the round file. You ruined it. There is no way of pulling out that stainless pin without ruining the fitting. Unfortunatly this is a problem with the cutter style fittings. These fittings were designed back when the tube material of the hose was made of neoprene, nitrile or buna. Todays newer synthetics, (crosslink polyethylene) are a much denser material and much harder on this style fitting. Not only do they not come apart easily, but they are typically more difficult to assemble in the first place. Also, with the denser tube material, it dulls the cutting edge immediatly, making them even harder to reuse. Alot of the time when you reuse them, the cutter edge will actually collapse against the fitting itself changing the integrity of the fitting. Using heat or a chemical to soften the hose to get it out may work, but in the process of doing that you may damage the internal orings of the fitting. I am not a fan of reusing cutter style fittings on the newer synthetic hose, its why we carry a single nipple design fitting. Let me know if we can help you with replacing any of them you might need.

Joel

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If you have taken the fittings apart like in the one picture, file them away in the round file. You ruined it. There is no way of pulling out that stainless pin without ruining the fitting. Unfortunatly this is a problem with the cutter style fittings. These fittings were designed back when the tube material of the hose was made of neoprene, nitrile or buna. Todays newer synthetics, (crosslink polyethylene) are a much denser material and much harder on this style fitting. Not only do they not come apart easily, but they are typically more difficult to assemble in the first place. Also, with the denser tube material, it dulls the cutting edge immediatly, making them even harder to reuse. Alot of the time when you reuse them, the cutter edge will actually collapse against the fitting itself changing the integrity of the fitting. Using heat or a chemical to soften the hose to get it out may work, but in the process of doing that you may damage the internal orings of the fitting. I am not a fan of reusing cutter style fittings on the newer synthetic hose, its why we carry a single nipple design fitting. Let me know if we can help you with replacing any of them you might need.

Joel
Thanks for the input. I mentioned in the first post that I ruined the fitting intentionally to get it apart to see how it worked. Possibly opening my mind to a solution for the problem.

Being that is a design issue and not necessarily an "earls" issue, seems like someone would/could come up with something better. I would have no problems with using the "push on" style stuff except it not being a swivel style fitting really can make it a pain in the ass IMO.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Joel
Missed this on the last post, but I noticed this on several of the -6 fittings that I've got. The cutter edge is completely collapsed against the fitting.

Anyone wanna buy some "barely" used fittings? :smt110

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
A little heat and it will come right out. As previously pointed out a small propane tourch and a little heat will do the trick.
Yes, I've used a propane torch and heat it up until the rubber expands. Then a small jewelers screwdriver will slide in and help to clean out the rubber without ruining the cutting edge.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
I had a car completely plumbed with Earl's "cutter-style" fittings. What a bitch to work on. Never again. I switched to Russell after that.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Being that is a design issue and not necessarily an "earls" issue, seems like someone would/could come up with something better. I would have no problems with using the "push on" style stuff except it not being a swivel style fitting really can make it a pain in the ass IMO.
You're not limited to the pushlok style setup. There is another option. They are very user friendly and there is no problem reusing them. Here is a picture of the single nipple design that we carry.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts