Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a SBF 331 88mm Turbo rated about 1300-1500hp and shifting points on the camshaft and turbo are from 7800-8200rpms. I need to know which of these crankshafts are the best piece that I should use for strenght and longevity. This is a big bore small stroke motor so I am limited on crankshafts with the 3.250 stroke, rod journal 2.100, rod length 5.4, main journal 2.250. The Callies crankshaft is $500 more than the eagle crankshaft. Are there any racers out there using Eagle 4340 crankshaft at the magnitude??? Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
dont use eagle!!! get a callies piece. or a howards if you are on a budget

·
Registered
543 Posts
Callies is the better piece, however the eagle should be fine. There are 2 local guys to me running the eagle crank in their turbo sbf running mid / low 8's. I am running the Eagle crank for my car that will be 331ci, twin 67's, so it should make some power. Just don't skimp on the rods.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Callies hands down,

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Lots of people getting by just fine with Eagle cranks at that RPM and alot higher I wouldnt worry about it if your sitting around 1k hp or so its pretty typical.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Callies real nice crank. or howards.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot guys. I am using Oliver Billet rods. I did a search for Howards crankshafts, they dont made a cranshaft @3.250 stroke. I am wondering whats so special about the Callies crankshaft for it to be $1049.95 and the Eagle is $529. One negative thing I heard about Callies crankshaft is the rod journals are not all the same size. Maybe it was just that crank, I dont know.

·
Registered
372 Posts
that would be eagle, with the screwed up rod journals, lol. howards might make that size also. i would call howards to double check

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How much horsepower can Callies 4340 Crankshaft withstand? I know Eagle says 1500hp but some racers are making 1700+hp with Eagle 4340 crank.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Callies uses better materials in its forgings, better heat treatment, true journals, the balancer bolt setup is stronger also. In a build like you are doing I suggest the Callies.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts