Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get your opinions and your knowledge on E98 fuel. I currently have very little knowledge on alcohol so I was hoping to get some information from you guys.

My current setup is:
  • 383 sbc
  • Procharged F1A
  • Non-intercooled
  • 15 lbs of boost
  • C16 fuel
  • Carb Shop blow thru carburetor
My questions are:
  1. Would it benefit me in anyway to switch from C16 to E98?
  2. If I make the switch, what changes would need to be made to the car to accept the E98?
  3. Is it more difficult to tune a engine running on alcohol?
  4. What are the downfalls of running E98 over C16?
If you have any other information you'd like to add, please do so! I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible!

Thank you for your time,
Tim

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
Smart young man right here ^^^^^^ He and his family are good people. And friendly too!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get your opinions and your knowledge on E98 fuel. I currently have very little knowledge on alcohol so I was hoping to get some information from you guys.

My current setup is:
  • 383 sbc
  • Procharged F1A
  • Non-intercooled
  • 15 lbs of boost
  • C16 fuel
  • Carb Shop blow thru carburetor
My questions are:
  1. Would it benefit me in anyway to switch from C16 to E98?
  2. If I make the switch, what changes would need to be made to the car to accept the E98?
  3. Is it more difficult to tune a engine running on alcohol?
  4. What are the downfalls of running E98 over C16?
If you have any other information you'd like to add, please do so! I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible!

Thank you for your time,
Tim
Ethanol has a stoichiometric ratio of 9-1 vs 14.7-1 for gas so it will take more fuel. Since methanol is 6.4 -1 ethanol falls about in-between. The latent heat of evaporation is 396 But/lb vs about 150Btu/lb for gas so it will give you a better cooling if intake charge. Methanol is 506Btu/lb. As far as energy per pound ethanol is 12800Btu/Lb, methanol is 9750Btu/lb and gas is about 19000btu/lb depending on blend. While is has less but per pound the higher stoichiometric ratio helps overcome that. Be sure any orings or gaskets used in your fuel system are compatible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts