10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one use e85 on big blower
looking into trying it , would like some feed back
thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
cant compare it to meth but its better than gas. my 400 sbc made 951 hp at 14psi from a 871 now i got a whipple screw. egt at 1300 intake air at 120, injector gets icecold blower gets cold

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sound not to bad at half the cost of c16
i ve got 358 with an older d3m procharcher and air to water
i think ill give it shot and see what happenes

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
Here's some pictures of my 598 10/71 EFI E85. This will be going into my Prostreet 69 Camaro. I also have another 69 Camaro but it's of the Protouring flavor.

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
Darts 360's that have a lot of port work. The motor was run on n/a alcohol. It's a Bowtie block w/ calies rotating assy. What you see in the pictures is a tall deck truck block. The bowtie block is in the machine shop getting new pistons to get the compression down to 9.1 and rebalanced. Tall deck sheetmetal blower manifold that I had injector bungs and a burst panel installed. Yep I wil run four injectors concealed inside the hat. Good eye on that one. This will be my Prostreet toy. I have a C5 Z06 on a chassis jig getting a 25.5 treetment that'll sport an Trubocharged LSx. That to be my main drag car, hoping to go low 7's. Pictures on that one soon to come.

BTW. any input running the e85 underpressure will be appreciated.

Oh, btw Filthy your avitar gives me a boner!! That F__kers sweet!!

Thanks,
Dave

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
How do I edit My above post from yesterday? I guess you can't edit after 24hrs.:smt118

Anyway if it matters any my C5 Vette is getting a 25.2 cert and the 69 Camaro a 25.4 cert.

-Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes! there we got it! really nice parts, a friend ofmine runs a 1471 blown e85 efi 540 bbc with superflow heads that dynoed 1100 hp 960 ftlbs, so you will se atleast that. great idea to conseal the injectors in the hat but how are you gonna do it? i also run 9 compression but if i built the motor now i would done it a little lower like 8-8.5, so if its not to late for you i suggest you try to lower the comp more. so you can use more boost. you gonna have a really nice toy :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
yea it gave me a boner to yesterday when i did a 100 meter burnout at classic car meet. pin bumped the rev limit on 3 gear all the way :rolleyes:, got it on tape to :)

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
yes! there we got it! really nice parts, a friend ofmine runs a 1471 blown e85 efi 540 bbc with superflow heads that dynoed 1100 hp 960 ftlbs, so you will se atleast that. great idea to conseal the injectors in the hat but how are you gonna do it? i also run 9 compression but if i built the motor now i would done it a little lower like 8-8.5, so if its not to late for you i suggest you try to lower the comp more. so you can use more boost. you gonna have a really nice toy :)
I have not order the pistons as of yet so It's not to late to go alittle lower. As a matter of fact going down to 8.5 I can get some off the shelf pistons. As for as upper injecters we will construct a plate that will be sandwiched between the hat and the blower. That plate will have a base for the injectors and fuel rail built onto it. I would like to see some details of your setup. Are you using all three throttle plates? I was concerned that would be too much air for the E85. Then again wouldn't the blower dictate that?

Thanks again,
Dave

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
Fithy,

We would like to see that burn out, post the video if you can. That's a sweet car you have there. Good inspiration for my Prostreet project.

-Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have not order the pistons as of yet so It's not to late to go alittle lower. As a matter of fact going down to 8.5 I can get some off the shelf pistons. As for as upper injecters we will construct a plate that will be sandwiched between the hat and the blower. That plate will have a base for the injectors and fuel rail built onto it. I would like to see some details of your setup. Are you using all three throttle plates? I was concerned that would be too much air for the E85. Then again wouldn't the blower dictate that?

Thanks again,
Dave
Then i suggest you pic the shelf pistons. that sounds really smart consealing the injectors. All plates are used, it took some time tuning the accpump settings but it wasnt so hard. we tuned the efi at the dyno. yes the motor takes the air thats needed so it doesnt matter if you have to much plate area. the only bad thing is that its get sensitive when you push the pedal from 0% tps. the only thing that concerns me is that you maybe got a little to much cubes compared to the blower size. if you have 8.5 static comp you need aboat 16 lbs boost to reach 18:1 effeive comp ( my motor detonated above 20:1 timing at 28 ) and that means you need to spin the blower more than 30% overdrive for your 600/1071 combination. what blower do you use, stage 3 or more? i cant upload the burnout video untill tomorrow but here you got two videos from -07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP7dPOu8HhE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ2NUaCRJoY
Thanks /Linus

·
Registered
176 Posts
what size whipple is that = 3.3L or 5.0 L. looking at building a BBC with the new 305 (5 litre ) blower. curious on your pulley ratio and how much boost it puts out. how high do you spin it. Sick car man. thanks Ryan

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
I did consider a 14/71. But this is not going to be a max-effort motor. I had the 598 so I figured I'd use it. The car should weight around 2400 to 2500lbs. I figured a 600cid motor with 15lbs of boost should get the effect I'm after in a car that lite.

So with e85 you are able to go just above 18:1 effective comp ratio? My thoughts were to go with 9:1 and run it at 12 to 15lbs of boost and see how it does with the e85. I have no experience at all with e85 so it will be a learning curve. I will run a total of 12 160lbs injectors. Four in the injector hat and eight at the intake runners. What are your thoughts on that? Should that be enough fuel? With that all being said what kinda conservative hp should it make?

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow thats lite! that thing will be very fast. with 600/10-71 in mind it might be best to go 9:1 so you can spin the blower a little slower but still get the same effective comp and avoid blower heat. 9:1 and 15lbs will yeld 18:1. 12 lbs would be a safe street setup but still 16.3:1. my motor didnt detonate under 20:1 but it didnt gain much above 14 lbs (3% overdrive tbs stage3 871), 950hp at 14lbs and 974 at 23lbs (22% overdrive). then i used a mild roller 25?in/[email protected] and aboat 9.1:1 and 345/[email protected] flowing heads and 400 sbc running on e85 from 10 85lbs injectors. From that i think you should se atleast 1100hp. my friend with the 1100hp e85 540/14-71 runs 8 160lbs injectors all above the blower so a total of 1300-1600lbs should be good. i dont have any experience from intake injectors so maybe some one of the blown alcohol guys staying here can jump in here and help you out on the fuel balance between intake and hat. when we tuned the efi at the dyno we started to add 35% fuel from gas and worked from there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
what size whipple is that = 3.3L or 5.0 L. looking at building a BBC with the new 305 (5 litre ) blower. curious on your pulley ratio and how much boost it puts out. how high do you spin it. Sick car man. thanks Ryan
hi Ryan! its the big old r980 (9.8 litre), whipple dont make them now but the 305 would be a great choice. i would bolt that on if i didnt find my 980 for the right money. i run it 30% (13lbs) underdriven on the street. in outlaw classes i think they run it 50-60% overdrive and above 50lbs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the answers Filthy. I didn't know whipple made a blower that large. Thats twice as large as the 305. I was going to build a 477 (4.5 x 3.75) BBC with the 305R blower with there intercooled intake, water injection and a bug cather injector hat. I'll have to use 94 octane unoco gas since we don't E85 where I live.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts