Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking around the idea of going to E85. I have a few questions.

First of all, I have read there is power to be had with E85 from pump gas. What I am running is a mild mannered 370, making around 480rwhp on 93oct. Is it worth changing to E85 with my setup? I do not mind buying a drum of it.

Second does the tune-up change all over?

Third, what in the fuel system do you have to change? If anything?

I am sure these are some remedial questions but this is something I have been wondering about for a little while.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Tune will be completely different. All of the fuel system has to be alcohol friendly (it's very corrosive) and it has to support a lot more fluid volume.

Being worth the cost of the changeover is up to you to decide.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on the cost of change over would be in trust of a decent power gain. It sounds like it will be more of a pita than it is worth.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Nice write up!

The "corrosion" debate continues! Granted, it's not as corrosive as methanol but it's still corrosive all the same. There have been reported failures among various auto manufacturers due to the use of E85 on non-flex fuel vehicles as late as 2006. Exercise caution is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm almost done with my conversion. VERY expensive. You need to flow about 30% more volume so you're looking at lines, fittings, injectors-I needed a regulator, external pump as well as a fuel tank.
The corrosion debate does continue yes, I did ALOT of research and the consensus seems to be that the E85 is much less corrosive than alcohol and using untreated high grade aluminum seems to be acceptable.
I called an anodizing company to see if they could treat my fuel tank and they said they couldn't get the whole inside of the tank covered so I'm leaving it bare. I've been told and have read that it will be ok so I guess I'll fnd out.
My conversion, and this is with buying used parts as well as new cost me about 3k.
I did it because I want to be able to street drive my car without choking on lead fumes. :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
ive been running e85 for 3 years. i have less corrision than i did with 114 or 116. and only small tunning curve.
id say you wont see the potential of e85 at only 480hp. now at 1100 hp ud deff see the diff between pump and e85.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have read people picking up 15 to 20 RWHP running E85 over 93 octane even with H/C LS1 motors though? Its not big numbers like Boosted motors but if its true....dosent seem bad.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read people picking up 15 to 20 RWHP running E85 over 93 octane even with H/C LS1 motors though? Its not big numbers like Boosted motors but if its true....dosent seem bad.

That is not bad pick up, but I can do the same with 110 imo. Instead of changing the whole system, it would be probably the same cost in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts