Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here run E85? Class rules will allow it but I am torn between E85 and gasoline with an intercooler. I just attended the Monte Smith school of nitrous and feel that I am now capable of correctly reading a plug, but if E85 makes plug reading hard like alcohol, what do you guys do? It will be a blowthru setup.

Thanks,
Blair

·
Registered
49,360 Posts
depends on the gasoline content. Plug tempature is different with e85 to

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do u guys just stick one o2 after the turbo? I don't mind spending the money on eight, but I have been told the o2 has to go after the turbo. If u cannot read a timing mark off the plug how are u determining when you have all the timing the motor will take?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think that is enough info for me to make a decision. I appreciate the help from all.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Searched and came up with this thread, but doesn't really give direct info on E85 I'd like. Links speak of methanol mostly.
I'm familiar with reading race gas NA plugs. But with this E85 boosted deal not so much. Is there good source of info on E85 plug reading for turbo applications. Strictly drag race. Currently running R5671A-8 at the 1000 hp range on 30 pounds.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’ve been through all of this on my truck. If your O2 shows proper afr read them just like a methanol plug. Strap shows timing and watch the burn off of the ring for the fuel mix. I run 5671a-10 in my 388 E85 up to 28psi no intercooler. Had -8’s in it had trouble keeping timing mark in proper place on the strap as it acted like it wanted more timing but plug showed too hot with safe afr. Went to -10’s and was able to put 3degrees more in it at full tilt and picked up a ton and plug shows good timing now and only burns 1/2 a turn off the base ring. Checked plug and switched with a new one on hottest cyl every pass until I got it all sorted out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts