Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one car that's able to run E85 fuel. I am unable to get any fuel here locally that is above E70. Engine is a 406 sbc, 12:1 compression. I have changed the car over to alcohol with a different carb. I would like to run the E85 setup, is it safe to run this on fuel that is probably still winter blend that is only E70? Would it hurt performance or hurt the engine if the ethanol level is low on a lower compression engine like this?.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Every time we checked the E85, out of the pump at the local Quick and Ez, it was always a little bit higher

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under normal circumstances it would test 85-90 here in July. With the stay at home crap from March to June, people were not driving, and the stations were not selling fuel. We switch to a winter blend for E85 and diesel usually in October. E85 is cut to anywhere from 60-70 to allow easier cold weather winter starting. In normal times the tanks would have been emptied by spring, and they would get the higher ethanol blend, that didn't happen this year. One friend went to a different station than I did and tested it and it was between 55-60!.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
If you're wanting a consistent level of ethanol in every fill up, you'll need to look at buying E85 from a racing fuel supplier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just started running this fuel, but I'm told by friends that run it that once we get our summer blend in the ground, it always is between 85-93. If I can't locate consistently high levels I may have to start buying pails of it. I have a bigger engine I will be putting in this car, it makes 150 more HP and is a true 14.5:1 compression, so I won't take a chance on low level fuel with that engine, I'll run it on methanol if I have to.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts