Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is producing the best e85 carbs? and provides good service and help with tuning.

Build is 600" BBC that made about 1080hp on pump fuel or race gas. I'm not sure what it was dynoed with. Owner wants to convert it to E85. Also wants to run nitrous so a carb builder that can help tune nitrous would be great.

Any recommendations of who should be used?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had one build by Sullens for a 615 and it was so far off it melted the plugs off and we had to go through the entire engine. After getting the engine back together and after carb changes it still wouldn't run right. We tried a few things and then he said it was the intakes fault(he knew what intake was on it when he built it). After not getting it running right he told me I should just sell it and go a different route. Not bashing just giving my experience a lot of people have had good luck but not me.

Eric Neifert at horsepower innovations got it running right but I was turned off E85 by then so switched to methanol and never looked back. Dan Davinci is building some nice E85 stuff and hearing good things about them from pro E85 members.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had one build by Sullens for a 615 and it was so far off it melted the plugs off and we had to go through the entire engine. After getting the engine back together and after carb changes it still wouldn't run right. We tried a few things and then he said it was the intakes fault(he knew what intake was on it when he built it). After not getting it running right he told me I should just sell it and go a different route. Not bashing just giving my experience a lot of people have had good luck but not me.

Eric Neifert at horsepower innovations got it running right but I was turned off E85 by then so switched to methanol and never looked back. Dan Davinci is building some nice E85 stuff and hearing good things about them from pro E85 members.
Thanks for your input. Sorry to hear about your motor. What manifold did you have? Was it NA or on nitrous?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Mark Whitener (Lightning Racing Carbs) has done all my E85 stuff. His carbs are second to none and all have been spot on right out of the box.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark Whitener (Lightning Racing Carbs) has done all my E85 stuff. His carbs are second to none and all have been spot on right out of the box.
what applications are you using them in? Has he built you new carbs or redone old gas carbs for you?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a horsepower innovations carb on my car. Needed a couple of tweaks for drivability, but Eric helped me get it dialed. I picked up almost 3 MPH over Q16.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
what applications are you using them in? Has he built you new carbs or redone old gas carbs for you?

Mark has built them for me for roots blown applications as well as a couple N/A motors. He has reworked a set for me, and built the rest from scratch. I wouldn't use anybody else for any of my carb needs.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark has built them for me for roots blown applications as well as a couple N/A motors. He has reworked a set for me, and built the rest from scratch. I wouldn't use anybody else for any of my carb needs.
thanks for the input. I did not know he did E85. I think Chris uses some of his gear.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I talked to Mark W and seemed very knowledgeable, I was going to send the carb to him but I could drive to HP innovations and he reworked the carb while I was there watching the entire time. Wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

thanks for the input. I did not know he did E85. I think Chris uses some of his gear.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It doesn't matter to me who does your carb, as long as you are happy with the results. Being close to Eric made sense Inferno, it's always easier to fine tune on the car it goes on. As far as Maxey I'll be happy to talk to you, see if I can help with what you are looking for. We build everything from 2 barrel to oval blade to 2.800 throttle blade, blower and blow thru, all fuels. Except Nitro... hmmm.... :)

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
If you're still looking around, Eric at HPI did mine as well. Since I was also a nitrous deal, I had no clue where to start on E85. Eric flowed/setup everything for me and gave me a few tuneups.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're still looking around, Eric at HPI did mine as well. Since I was also a nitrous deal, I had no clue where to start on E85. Eric flowed/setup everything for me and gave me a few tuneups.
thanks. And what were the results? Did you chnge from race gas to e85 or was it an E85 build from the beginning?Is it on the car in your avatar?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
thanks. And what were the results? Did you chnge from race gas to e85 or was it an E85 build from the beginning?Is it on the car in your avatar?
We went from a pump gas 11:1 427ci SBC with a single plate at 150, to a 13:1 430ci SBC, and upped the plate to 250, all on pump E85. Made a pretty big power difference, and the gas was cheaper. So Eric converted the original gas carb to E85, and flowed the nitrous system for me as well.
Yea, it's the Jeep in the avatar. I think switching to E85 was one of the best things I've ever done.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Talk to Mark W! (407) 421-14 zero - five. Super knowledgeable, real easy to work with and builds a very nice carburetor that'll be tailored per your specs. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts