Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be going out to see here soon for a bit. I've got the magnafuel 4303 pump and I'm running e85. Are there any precautions I should take with an extended layup period? Or do I just drain it when I get back and throw fresh fuel in?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
+1

I just cleaned a ton of nasty gel and corrosion out of my set up last week.
I am planning on running mine on pump 93 to avoid this issue, and just run e85 at the track.
E85 is not as popular in my area, and I recently found out that the last batch I purchased was 4+ month old crap, arrgh.....
I plan to drive the car around much more this year, and dno't want anymmore surprises in the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I just put the vent cap on my fuel cell and it normally does not have a problem. I think the longest I have ever let it sit was a couple months though. A few years ago I was getting some corrosion (Slime and white powder) in the fuel bowls, but that has not happened recently.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are going to want to drain it all out and with that pump run some diesel thru it and the lines for storage, or a lot of WD40 works also.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I'll drive it a bit before I leave. I'll just pop open both ends of the fuel pump and the fuel filters and let them drain out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Seems like some have issues while others don't depending on the location in the country. On norotors guys have black gunk buildups, but we've never seen that issue in the KC area, I've let it sit for 4-6 months in a tank and fired up and ran just fine on a few cars.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Ive been running E85 for 2 years now and my car has sat through 2 winters. The inside of my aluminum fuel cell still looks new and there has never been any gummed up deposits in either my pre or post pump fuel filters. I also store my e85 in plastic 55 gallon drums that seal up real well. I currently have stuff in the car that was purchased about a year ago. It still tests 85% as it did when purchased, shows no cloudiness from moisture, and no abnormal smell. Car runs just the same as it did when the stuff was fresh out of the pump as well. I guess the station I get the stuff from is better than others?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Mine just sat all winter too. Fired right up, no issues a few weeks ago. Vented tank, near 6 mo. sitting. No issues. Garage was heated all winter though, maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ive been running E85 for 2 years now and my car has sat through 2 winters. The inside of my aluminum fuel cell still looks new and there has never been any gummed up deposits in either my pre or post pump fuel filters. I also store my e85 in plastic 55 gallon drums that seal up real well. I currently have stuff in the car that was purchased about a year ago. It still tests 85% as it did when purchased, shows no cloudiness from moisture, and no abnormal smell. Car runs just the same as it did when the stuff was fresh out of the pump as well. I guess the station I get the stuff from is better than others?
I'm in the same boat. Two years, no issues....but I'm EFI. I heard that since the EFI system is closed that we don't need to be as worried.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the same boat. Two years, no issues....but I'm EFI. I heard that since the EFI system is closed that we don't need to be as worried.
How is yours a closed system? I have to have a vent on my tank to fill it up. I do have a -10 vent on it. It fills up really easy, so easy that it over fills.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts

Ditto

Mine sat this winter in my garage with half a tank of fuel (10 gallons). Was a little worried but dumped the fuel thru the lines and came out clear, no issues there. Tank looks like the day I filled it. Tested at 89% and it was around 86% when I parked it last year.

My fuel is stored in Steel drums however but I like the idea of the plastic ones. No issues there either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts