Index racing and E. T. control

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to bite the bullet, lol. Car is to fast for the class and tried everything to slow it down enough. Run's low 6.20's and need to hit the 6.50 index deal. Have Dominator system and using a 1" tapered spacer that can be replaced with either.

Sooooooooooo, have been researching both systems or possible other alternatives that can work, but which of those 2 systems is easier to do in staging, more reliable, easier to tune, etc, etc.

Also don't want to totally give up the all out performance as it is a street car and there is local trash talking. :smt089 ;)

Hope i can get some positive responses to make a choice. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
We have several of both on local cars. I use the E Z Plate. I like that once you have your plates in the range you need, each plate makes the same change in ET as the next one up or down. My car changes .02 per plate in 1/8 mile. My buddy has used the same set up and won 3 of 5 OSCA 6.50 ET races he entered. Another buddy uses the ET G. He is current champion in 2 classes at out local track.

You have to change plates with the first type, but it only takes 1 minute to do it. And you can pull the plate and run as fast as your car will go with no other tuning. We leave our set up the same with and without the plate, except we lower the shift point just for less maintenance.

With the second type, no plates to mess with. Just crank the adjuster open or close to change ET. There is a dial indicator comes with it to see where exactly you are at if you want to record measurements. I don't know if it is linear or not on turns per ET change.

The both cost around $450.

Best way I have found to consistently slow one down for an index or to keep a car slower for a no license deal. And I tried a bunch of things before this.

·
Steering wheel holder
4,708 Posts
I use a plate made by willies carb, same as the et genie without the dial indicator. I made a linkage out though the grill so I can change it without opening the hood. The good, infinitely adjustable and fast changes. The bad, non linear adjustments. The first turn is worth very little and the last turn is worth a lot.

I like it but it took a bit to get figured out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I only ran 1 index class and my car was fairly close I used an adjustable throttle rod. Once my car got fast enough to run 2 classes I bought an EZ-Plate system. Run my 6.40 car in both 7.0 1/8 and 10.50 1/4 index classes. Works like a champ. I'm sure the ET Genie or the Willys works fine, but I know I'd get confused and go the wrong way with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have both systems and both work fine once you figure out your range of et. I run several different index classes (6.0, 6.40 & 6.90 1/8 mi and 9.90 Super Gas 1/4) and the ET Genie allows for a wider range as all you have to do is adjust the butterfly opening by using their included dial indicator. I've changed my et by almost 1 second with just adjusting the ET Genie adjustment screw (it's very easy). That said, my plate system can do the same; it just requires more than one set of plates. But again, once figured out, the plates work fine and are also easy to change. Remove the plates and the car runs full out. Adjust the ET Genie to wide open and again the car run full out. Gene

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,598 Posts
I use a plate made by willies carb, same as the et genie without the dial indicator. I made a linkage out though the grill so I can change it without opening the hood. The good, infinitely adjustable and fast changes. The bad, non linear adjustments. The first turn is worth very little and the last turn is worth a lot.

I like it but it took a bit to get figured out.
Cool, next time we get paired-up I'll get you distracted and spin that baby a bit! :)

Seriously though, my car goes 9.4x's full out, I use the EZ Plate to slow it up for 10.00, repeats perfectly. He pays $100 a win up to twice a year, for two years, and then $100 a win once a year for the rest of your life (or his). You must be the original purchaser. I have collected enough money from him to pay for the plate already, and he sends those checks out within a week, what more could you ask for.........

I did try a small plate to do 10.90 Super Street, well, it isn't good for that. I couldn't hit the tree due to the amount of power it killed, and was not very consistent or predictable. Others may have had luck killing their car that much, but I did not.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I use the EZ plates to run a 4.90 Index Class. I won the first race last year running 4.900 first round, 4.903 second round and 4.899 in the final. The promoter banned me from using it now. The plate changes my car 1 number so if you can read the track and weather you can be very consistent. And they are legal except in 4.90 Outlaws......LOL.

·
Registered
773 Posts
And quicker to adjust in the lanes,i had 3 #1 qualifiers and 2 wins last year out of 8 races.. ez plate works too just not as "ez" to adjust compared to genie both woth great!!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,598 Posts
And quicker to adjust in the lanes,i had 3 #1 qualifiers and 2 wins last year out of 8 races.. ez plate works too just not as "ez" to adjust compared to genie both woth great!!
Yes, I will agree with that. With the EZ Plate, unless you bring the next size up and down with you to the lanes, you aren't making an easy change........ I never really had to worry about that though. It takes me five seconds to swap a plate, provided I have it with me!

There were times we had to wait, track conditions changed, got faster, so I knew I was holding more, that's ok. If it went the other way though and I was no longer holding what I wanted to, or worse yet, got soooo bad I couldn't run the number, well, that's why I always leave myself some room on the shift...... ;)

I can always run the number at a minimum, or holding a lot at worse-case. :)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Once I am dialed in, wouldn't I just put a few plates and a wrench in the car?
If I have it set up to run a 9.50 and it is early in the day I know the weather will just get hotter and so I would put a few plates to compensate incase there is a oil down or something to make me wait.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A question for those of you running the EZ plate.

The plate slide in through the right side? I'm wondering how you get around the fuel lines? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

Could you post up a picture?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
235 Posts
For those of you with the E.T. Genie. How much of a turn on the dial indicator would it take you to kill .02 on 1/4 mile E.T if all other variables were the same (weather temps etc...) I'm going to order one this week and was curious how much of a movement it took to see a difference in time. I realize all cars and engines react different just looking for a starting point thanks.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,598 Posts
A question for those of you running the EZ plate.

The plate slide in through the right side? I'm wondering how you get around the fuel lines? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

Could you post up a picture?

Thanks,
Jeff
I have both versions, 4150 and 4500.

On the 4150 I have a nitrous plate under it as a spacer so the plate will clear the fuel rails when we slide it out (to the passenger side).

On the 4500 it slides right out the front.

Both cars are EFI.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts