·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DEBATING ON E 85 CONVERSION.
SBC 406 ALUMINUM HEADED.
WAS THINKING OF SWITCHING OVER TO E 85?
UR THOUGHTS?
WHATS NEEDED BESIDES FUEL PUMP AND CARB?
IS IT WORTH IT?
ENGINE IS 10.1 COMP
THX

·
"Shocks don't matter"
21,585 Posts
DEBATING ON E 85 CONVERSION.
SBC 406 ALUMINUM HEADED.
WAS THINKING OF SWITCHING OVER TO E 85?
UR THOUGHTS?
WHATS NEEDED BESIDES FUEL PUMP AND CARB?
IS IT WORTH IT?
ENGINE IS 10.1 COMP
THX
If methonol became extinct, I wouldn't go to gas.

Positive response has been high.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I have had great results so far with e85. Way better than gas in some ways. Performance on par with race gas in some situations with 1/4 the price.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
10:1 it's not really worth it, stick with 93, unless you plan to spray or use a blower.

What do you have, now? you might not need a fuel pump, and could have your carb converted.

And I run the hell outa e85:p

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Unless you up the compression or add blower/turbo/N2O I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes I have a plate system gonna use it
fuel pump is a bg280
no blower
thanku

10:1 it's not really worth it, stick with 93, unless you plan to spray or use a blower.

What do you have, now? you might not need a fuel pump, and could have your carb converted.

And I run the hell outa e85:p

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love the stuff. I run a BB Mopar with a 1050 dominator and magna fuel 275 pump. So you should be OK with a carb conversation and the pump you have.

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
That last weekend we went to play, I was filling my gas cans at $2.48 (IIRC) for E85, and next to that was a 110 pump for $7.80...
That's why I switched. Similar setup to you. SBC with a plate system

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
That last weekend we went to play, I was filling my gas cans at $2.48 (IIRC) for E85, and next to that was a 110 pump for $7.80...
That's why I switched. Similar setup to you. SBC with a plate system
Same here.... It was the cost savings for me.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
yes I have a plate system gonna use it
fuel pump is a bg280
no blower
thanku
Go for it, then! pump should be good. Get rid of any paper filters, and go with stainless.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,415 Posts
I like E85 over 93 pump gas, but availabilty is the limited where I live.

I switched my wife's 14:1 sbc from C-12 to e85 and it was saving money every race weeked, but I had to go out of my way to get the e85 and it became a pain in the ass.

From my personal experience, E85 is a great choice if it's readily available.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I am not sure you will feel much difference on a 10:1 pump gas engine like that.
this i was told by mark it wouldnt do anything for it,except run a little cooler ,he would like more comp. in my engine which is also 10.1 ,and he said use as large a fuel pump so i never need to change:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
this i was told by mark it wouldnt do anything for it,except run a little cooler ,he would like more comp. in my engine which is also 10.1 ,and he said use as large a fuel pump so i never need to change:rolleyes:
You are right on a n/a 10:1, but a nitrous 10:1 is getting into race gas territory. If the op is using nitrous once a year, run pump gas, and dump in some 110 on the nitrous days. If your using it all the time, E85 would be a nice alternative.

Mark told me the same thing about my pump. The carb builder that built mine told me to start out with the pump I had... 3 years later the lil black pump is serving me well:p

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
On a 11:1 motor, going from 93 to e85 was worth .2 and 3 mph Na
motor would run 200-210 in the heat on 93.on e85 I had a hard time getting the motor to 180* on a 90* day.car would run consistent 11.40'at 122 and dropped to
11.0 and the occasional 10.90 at 125.with nitrous it picked up a bunch and ran a best of [email protected] on a basic head and cam 351w

·
Registered
130 Posts
I started running e85 starting this year as a way to cut cost and it has done that in my opinion if you can't build your own carb I would go to meth.I built mine with QF metering blocks and it was a challenge not a bolt on and go.If your gas carb is tuned well don't expect a big pick up and search e85 black goo.It doesn't like moist air at all.

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,065 Posts
E85 makes an amateur tuner like myself "look" like I know what I'm doing. For junkyard turbo ls, it's the only thing I feel comfortable with, but every setup is different.

·
Registered
370 Posts
depends on your cam and chamber.
weak combos like e-70 better . if your car is set up to spray e-85 will make a world of difference in N/a .... the tighter the combo is off of ideal N/a the better it will work .
have not seen a 9 second or slower combo that a tune up did not run better !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts