Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i was going to run alky blowthru on my 347 12.5 comp. motor.but then i cant pull it into the streets because of the alky:(,so before i continue the build,i learned the e-85 can be used on my high comp. motor(i guess n/a)could i still run a 12.5 on blowthru WITH OUT AN ''AIR TO AIR'' OR ''AIR TO WATER'' INTERCOOLER LIKE WITH ALKY???? my alky carb is a 950cfm c&s alky blowthru with electric bowls,and i called roger at c&s and asked about the switch and he said i couldnt,my motor needed to be 9.5 or less comp. to run e-85:confused:,all i want is a second popinion or some1 thats already running with e-85 on high comp.thanks for your replies....:wink:

·
Registered
756 Posts
id say not with boost. 12.5:1 and e85 yep all day. is it a stock block 347? if so then id say yes cause that motor wont take much boost ontop of 12.5:1 before it tried to crack in half.

·
Registered
756 Posts
also your alky carb is way too rich. gona have to send it back for a total new carb for e85.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I haven't seen quite that high, or really much on a push rod engine. I know mod motors love compression, and will run 11-1 on c16 and E85. Depends on your power level I guess. You might be able to reach the power level you want with that compression and 10 psi. I'd try it if it were mine and take it slow.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You will be boost and timing limited....

Why cant you take "alky" on the street? Are you talking Methanol?

Just go get some E100 instead of E85. That compression is still too high on boost. I wouldnt even want to try 12.5:1 on M1 or M5.

Anyway to get at least a point out of the motor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for your input,
@matt,my 347 has a r-block with 1000hp internals,i bought the c&s alky carb from a guy running a 349 on an f-2 set-up,best time was 5.40's in the 1/8th.his comp. was 11.5 comp.
so i called roger @ c&s and he said thats the reason the alky blowthru was created,for higher comp. to run on boost with no need for intercoolers of any type.so i bought to save on changing my pistons,and spending on additional intercoolers and weight,(AT THE END IT ALMOST COST THE SAME IN THE LONG RUN)i just didnt want to open my motor to change pistons,so i went this route(alky carb).
but now with all this (MY CAR IS A STREET CAR) i dont think running alcohol is a good idea because if i run out of gas,then what lol :).so i figure to sell the alky carb to go e-85,but i need to do some research before im forced to change the pistons again:(.

@lil john,well thats the reason i dont want to run alcohol anymore,incase i run out of fuel,since it evaporates twice as fast.

i have a friend that says its possible,but im scarred to use my motor as a (LAB RAT EXPERIMENT,LOL)too much money tideup to fail.i was courius that somebody has already proven results on a similar high comp. on e-85.

ill give it a couple of more days to see more input during the week,thanks for your time and replies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
225 afr's with the extra ported exhast side,gt4788,with a custom lunati nitrous cam(solid roller) that im going to test before i replace,112 lobe sep.
ive read that for competition 112 lobe sep. is also good on the turbo.
my goal is to run 5.7-5.5 in the 1/8th safely no class of any kind,just for fun(i have to be a couple of tenths ahead of those 6.2-6.0 cars)they are already fast Lol .
on a 2700lbs coupe,now i need to loose a couple of pounds too(240lbs)
thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
come to think about it.my motor was 12.5 to 1 with the 205 afr's with the 1006 gasket.
and now i have 225's with the same 58cc but with a thicker gasket.(fel-pro multilayer 1137,.051''thick(11.7 cc)
would this help lower my comp. any?
thanks for your replies and time.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
The bigger chamber option on the AFR would help a bunch. Its 72cc. You could ask AFR about sending your heads in and having that chamber CNC program run on your heads. Guarantee that would be cheaper than.switching pistons. And easier. 14ccincrease in chamber volume just might drop the static compression enough.

Btw....lobe sep angle doesnt mean diddly on the cam. Its a number that just happens when the proper valve events are selected.

·
Registered
49,465 Posts
VP import. Exspensive as hell, but its the only fuel on the planet made for combos like this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have seen 12:1 on e85 and boost live. When I talked to guy (I know second hand info take it for what it cost you) about the combo it was basically an Na car that they slapped some turbos on. This thing also had a large Na Cam so I'm guessing the dynamic compression was in line with what might be seen with a mid sized turbo cam. ( I don't remember all the specs) also it was twins and the and the back pressure was 1:1, the boost was low 7-8lbs iirc, and it was a blow through, and the timing was low something like 10-12 total. So can it be done yes, is it ideal :smt102. I would look into AFR's large chamber option and creep up real slow on the timing. But at 12:1 it should not take much boost to make a ton of power but it is going to be hard on the engine. A gt 4788 would not be my choice for a combo like this, I would want more turbine. also a custom lunati nitrous cam? what does that even mean? that could be a thousand different cams? might as well call it a 3/4 cam lol, and again the lobe sep means nothing it we know nothing else about the cam. Good luck I would love to hear how it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Here is how I see it:
1) You can be an innovator and try something new. You may be successful, you may not. I remember in the 80s everyone said you cant run high compression with nitrous, now its the standard. You may try a cam/boost/timing combo that may net you great results. On the other side of the coin you may break your stuff.

2) You can work with what is proven. Lower your compression by either having the chambers opened up or switching pistons and running the way everyone else does. Its proven and it will work. This lessens the chance of you breaking your stuff.

In the end its your choice. You may find 100 people that tell you it will work and another 100 that say it wont. In the end you are responsible if you try something outside the box and break your stuff. Innovators are always faster but they can afford to break stuff to get there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yes it can be done... i know its a different type of motor but i know people who have run 13:5:1 on turbo hondas making 1100-1250whp. you need to have the least amount of backpressure possible and a good flowing motor... heads that flow well, big backside on turbo, and a good tune. the setup will make more hp per psi then a lower compression motor therefore it wont take as much psi to make good power! and these setups spool really fast!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts