Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to the dyno today and was alittle confussed as to the #'s it produced. The guty running the dyno said that do to my converter and loss thru the drive train the #'s were alittle low. Was hoping some one here could give me an idea on hoew to read these.

He put in a filter value (whatever that is) of 20
I pulled the motor to 6700rpm were it showed to nose over.
The top #'s were 395 TQ and 337 HP

These were all @ or around 6700.The AFR was 0n aver. 12.6

My carb is HP 950 ( 76-86) jets
Th350 w/a 8' ATI (flash to 4500-4700)

If I left something out ,please let me know I will post what Imay have left out.......... Thanx for any help

·
Registered
187 Posts
Depending on converter, trans, and rear end. I have seen as much as 25% loss on auto and as little as 10% on stick. But I would say average would be 20% for auto. Now this all depends on type of dyno, type of tires. Whether the dyno has been calibrated correctly. Those numbers, were those with correction factor, the dyno should spit out two numbers one of what it actually made and one corrected for temp based off of what I belive to be 70 degrees. The filter value should be basically nothing more than a smoothing factor to smooth the graph out. If you could put a picture of the actual dyno gragh up with the rest of your combo might be able to answer your question better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx guys. I'll try to post the sheet ,but in the meantime:
66 Velle (3575) with driver
11.2:1 cr
AFR 195 heads
RPM Air gap
Pro Systems HP 950
Comp solid flat (244-252 @ .050) 520 -540 lift
1 5/8 tube headers 3" H pipe to the back
TH 350 w/a 8" ATI (4500-4700 ) flash
28" tire D/R's
4:10 gear

Thanx guys hope this helps alittle

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
:smt017 RPM Air Gap??? This thing needs a Victor with all that converter and cam. Also you don't race a dino take it to the track and see what it runs. I think you will need a little more gear or a little blue bottle to hit 6700 through the traps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:smt017 RPM Air Gap??? This thing needs a Victor with all that converter and cam. Also you don't race a dino take it to the track and see what it runs. I think you will need a little more gear or a little blue bottle to hit 6700 through the traps.
This combo is new to my old combo_Old combo had less cam ,less converter.
6700 is peak power I took it here to see were my powere band lies to give me an idea were to shift and were power drops off.

Freind of mine has a simular combo, did a vic-rpm air gap swap ,and lost some 60ft going to the vic,

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thats not that far off in my oppinion. We dynoed a guys 68 had 383 with the 195 AFR, about 13:1 comp, a bigger roller cam, victor Jr. It didn't make but about 365 365 I think it had a turbo 400 and a dana in it. But chickens right I tried to tell all the guys who brought there cars to the dyno that they were going to get there feelings hurt but it didn't matter because you don't race on dynos.THE DYNO IS NOTHING MORE THAN A TUNING TOOL, thats all its good for unless you just like having pissing contests. Use the dyno to tune the shit out of it and what it makes is what it makes doesn't matter if it's 300 or 900. Take it to the track and run it Chicken is right as well though you might want to try a Victor Jr. but run it at the track like it is first. With that much torque I bet its fun to drive. Trust me numbers don't mean shit though I have proved this many times. My street car (350ci) didn't make but 350 at 7500 and 280 at 5500, its easy to get a race then because every body thinks there car makes 500. I just don't tell its built to work on gas and that it made 512 spinning the tires on a 150 shot :smt077

If you can put the gragh on I might be able to tell if the cam maxed out or if the intake is holding it back.

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
I have a SBC 383 with a mild hydraulic roller cam in the wifes car, Accel Super Ram (EFI) ARF 195cc heads, 1 3/4" headers, Y-Pipe into a 3 1/2" single exhaust, made 335 hp to the wheels with 93 Super Unleaded at 5500rpm, shot it with a 125hp shot and made 425hp to the rear wheels, Turbo 700 trans with a 2400rpm convertor, 3.70 gears, 26" Drag Radials. Goes 12.4's @ 108 on motor, 11.5 @ 115 on a 125hp shot, 3600lbs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
hard to compare cars on chassis dyno there are to many variables. Like the stock trans am stock TIGHT converter and little 7 5/8 rear end wont eat power like a 5000 converter and 9 inch.

·
Registered
936 Posts
1 7/8 stepped to 2inch with those same heads;)
I would use a 1 3/4 with the pri tubes around 32-34 inchs in lenght with a 3inch collector. Also with that cyl head and manifold I would get a carb that had a throttle bores closer to 1.36 to 1.40 as that carb from what I have seen on the dyno is to big for that engine combo in our experence. Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.