Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are preparing to dyno our 4 cylinder single turbo comp eliminator engine. We run a haltech elite for engine management with its built in boost controller. I understand that you use the two solenoids for PWM to have a movable boost target number, but for the dyno, couldn't you just plumb steady CO2 pressure on the gate? For example, we have 10 lb springs in the the gate now, and at 40 psi on the gate it makes 32 psi. Can we just have the co2 bottle with an adjustable output regulator set to 40 psi? It seemed to be a fairly simple solution.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its merely a simplification issue for the engine on the dyno. Being a 4 cylinder Honda on a dyno not necessarily set up for a honda, we have to be creative about solutions for running it. We are merely trying to get baseline settings for the engine. We would put it on a roller and/or hub dyno but it's a 265 inch dragster so its logistically hard to set that up.

We figured we would pull it at whatever the spring makes (which is how we do the burnout) and get that fine tuned, then run it at several boost settings (30, 35, 40, 45, etc) just by turning the knob on the bottle.
We don't expect to run an elaborate launch boost curve because it is a 4 cylinder with a clutch in a dragster. We figure we just need to leave with all the boost. Hahaha. The controller is merely a cap to make sure we don't accidentally find the limit of our head gasket

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Its merely a simplification issue for the engine on the dyno. Being a 4 cylinder Honda on a dyno not necessarily set up for a honda, we have to be creative about solutions for running it. We are merely trying to get baseline settings for the engine. We would put it on a roller and/or hub dyno but it's a 265 inch dragster so its logistically hard to set that up.

We figured we would pull it at whatever the spring makes (which is how we do the burnout) and get that fine tuned, then run it at several boost settings (30, 35, 40, 45, etc) just by turning the knob on the bottle.
We don't expect to run an elaborate launch boost curve because it is a 4 cylinder with a clutch in a dragster. We figure we just need to leave with all the boost. Hahaha. The controller is merely a cap to make sure we don't accidentally find the limit of our head gasket
Pretty neat. What are you going to run this car in class wise? Light car? The etc after you list boost numbers above is where things get interesting. LOL. Will be fun to see what it makes and how it runs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty neat. What are you going to run this car in class wise? Light car? The etc after you list boost numbers above is where things get interesting. LOL. Will be fun to see what it makes and how it runs.
Thanks!
Its 134 ci K series Honda. 76/85 precision on methanol. 5 speed liberty. 1500 lbs. 265 inch dragster. Made a few shake down runs last year. 1.00 sixty, 4.41 @161, 7.05 shutting off around 900 feet. NHRA comp eliminator I/D, 7.29 index.

Thanks for all the help. Looks like my idea should be fine to accomplish what we need

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Seems 4cyl drag cars must be an upcoming thing now ?

There were a few in Malta last year when I was there, running well down in the 6's
yeh there is heaps there, the one I tune has run [email protected] with a basic Cosworth 4cyl, old brog warner 76mm, just swapped it to methanol so looking to run into the 6.50 range

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
We are preparing to dyno our 4 cylinder single turbo comp eliminator engine. We run a haltech elite for engine management with its built in boost controller. I understand that you use the two solenoids for PWM to have a movable boost target number, but for the dyno, couldn't you just plumb steady CO2 pressure on the gate? For example, we have 10 lb springs in the the gate now, and at 40 psi on the gate it makes 32 psi. Can we just have the co2 bottle with an adjustable output regulator set to 40 psi? It seemed to be a fairly simple solution.

Thanks in advance
yeh just set the reg to what ever pressure you want to make it easy for you, or just change the boost controller to work on RPM not race time, that's all I ever do on the dyno

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of your help! Looks like my idea will work. Hopefully have it on the pump soon, and have updates
Thanks!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys! just wanted to give you an update. Constant co2 pressure on the gate worked perfectly.
Here is a quick video of one of the pulls

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Steve, Is the silver and green car the old "Gold RV" chassis … ???
I don't know much about them, that was the first I'd really seen the 4cyl drag cars there. I dont recall noticing them...or maybe just not so many when I was there 2-3 years previous.

They really do build all sorts of stuff there though.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those pulls sound angry. How much HP?
Yea I thought angry was appropriate! These were actually pretty tame. On just the springs it made around 11psi and 540 HP @ 9500. We didn't get a chance to video but we made a pull with 34 lbs of boost and it was 1002HP @ 10000, and still going WAY up. Don't like going much over 10k on his dyno, but we shift around 11300. We're pretty content with that. That gives me a tuneup I know will go 1320 feet and not melt the thing down, which I was never quite confident of before this. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts