Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Maderator
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters it is a 2005 Crew cab dually pulling a 28ft. Enclosed with a 3300lb. Car and a golf cart in it.

Ok so I was going to a race a few weeks ago and just after passing a car the truck went to an idle and starting downshifting until it got to about 30 mph and wouldn't go any faster. Put it in neutral and it revs just fine. Unhooked the bat. Cables and hit the road and it was fine for another 150 miles. On the next trip it does the same thing twice.

I took it back to the dealer( I've only had it a month) and they called today and said that it had a code for low fuel rail pressure they put a filter on it and said it's fixed.

The previous filter only had about 5000 miles on it.

My question is... Will low rail pressure make it go in to limp mode?
And how often are you guys changing filters?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
For starters it is a 2005 Crew cab dually pulling a 28ft. Enclosed with a 3300lb. Car and a golf cart in it.

Ok so I was going to a race a few weeks ago and just after passing a car the truck went to an idle and starting downshifting until it got to about 30 mph and wouldn't go any faster. Put it in neutral and it revs just fine. Unhooked the bat. Cables and hit the road and it was fine for another 150 miles. On the next trip it does the same thing twice.

I took it back to the dealer( I've only had it a month) and they called today and said that it had a code for low fuel rail pressure they put a filter on it and said it's fixed.

The previous filter only had about 5000 miles on it.

My question is... Will low rail pressure make it go in to limp mode?
And how often are you guys changing filters?
Completely normal on duramax's. I didn't install the drain on my new fuel filter tight enough once.

I just primed the fuel filter with the pump on top, hopped in and started driving. Did the exact same thing you mentioned. I changed my fuel filter every oil change in the winter and every second in the summer. Newer diesels are very temperamental to rail pressure.

·
spoolin...
4,394 Posts
Mine did it too. It's definitely the filter. It's fine until you back off the throttle a bit then try and get back on. When you do it goes into limp mode

·
Creepy Ass Cracka
5,801 Posts
Yes. Had tons of them do that. Guys would swear the filter was just changed too. I have a gauge that you hook to the fitting near the FICM that reads the vacuum on the fuel filter. Normal vacuum is 3-4" @ idle, 5-6" under acceleration. I've seen some so bad, they'll pull 18" at idle and 20+ under acceleration. They go right into limp mode.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I have had the housings be cracked and not crank in the morning and pump it run all day fine till morning so keep thinking that:p

·
Registered
176 Posts
And exactly how do you explain low rail pressure code from the range switch? Bad advise is worse than none. Yes there is limp problems from failed range switch but it sure as fuck wont set a low fuel rail pressure code.
Tom

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
And exactly how do you explain low rail pressure code from the range switch? Bad advise is worse than none. Yes there is limp problems from failed range switch but it sure as fuck wont set a low fuel rail pressure code.
Tom
I cant;) i didnt scan it or fix it ... but hey a stopped up filter will do all kinds of things also

·
I feared for my life!!!
14,663 Posts
Dirty fuel filter can also act like a slipping trans especially under hard acceleration. Mine was hanging up between the 3-4 upshift.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Man I'm glad to hear this I didn't really want to go through the trans on this thing.
the neutral safety switch is common problem also and will make the trans do freaky shit.. it will even make it sound like the convertor is coming apart ..

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
PUT A AIRDOG FUEL PUMP ON IT YOU WILL NEVER HAVE THE PROBLEM AGAIN.PLUS GET MORE POWER AND FUEL MILEAGE
Damn, treed me! And it will pull hard through the entire rpm range

·
spoolin...
4,394 Posts
My truck is down right now, injectors:( , and a lift pump is definitely going on it. Along with a pretuned ecm from idahoRob, changing the fuel filter, oil, and trans fluids. Going all the way while it's down lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
issues of head gaskets, fuel injectors, lift pumps my boss has one, it will be his last one, he has had everything changed 2 x only has 160 tho on it , they named it right DURA JUNK!

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts
Airdog II and never look back !!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts