Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
That way the fluide is going through the cooler before it's dumped. Instead of dumping hot fluide to the pan. Imo it probably doesn't get cooled much as fast as it most likely moving.
In general, heat transfer increases with increased fluid velocity. That's true on both sides of the heat exchanger, air and liquid in this case.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
X2^^^ the servo pressure behind the cover is want is holding the band for 1st gear when on the trans brake. It would also effect the reverse servo/apply piston and probably just smoke the band and reverse clutch pack. I'm looking forward to the new Bruno-Lenco setup in the new car. It has a true converter dump that is supposed to act very similar to a clutch pedal from what I have seen. You can also manipulate the converter charge pressure to have almost 100% lockup along with what the new Pro Torque Evolution converter is capable of doing. Every setup has its faults and the powerglide has very few especially considering when and what power level it was originally designed for. The Bruno-Lenco is awesome but its huge compared to a glide. This is the first car I've had that could actually fit one since its double frame rail.

·
Registered
737 Posts
don't forget fluid dumping across a pressure relief creates its own heat. I have plumed warm up circuit on large hydraulic systems this way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Could a person bleed at the servo cover instead? Just drill and tap?
Powerglides have the pressure regulator in the valve body , so converter charge starts there. There was a patent design years ago where a solenoid was incorporated on bottom of valve body that dumped converter charge at the start. I think it was called variable stall. Anyways if you wanted to or needed to make a change why not start at the source? Solenoids have to be able to withstand high temps and compatible with the fluids your using. So seals need to be high temp.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There was a patent design years ago where a solenoid was incorporated on bottom of valve body that dumped converter charge at the start. I think it was called variable stall.
Freddy Brown Variable Stall Control (VSC). I'm still using it with great results

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the next question will be, "What one?" :

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Hydraforce/Hydra-Force-12-Volt-DC-NC-Solenoid-Valve-9-5112-NC.axd

It has -8 inlet and outlet. I couldn't find one with -6. I use a radius fuel pump fitting with -8 radius orb, and -6 male An.

How effective was this dump valve for you? Any other sources for this valve or one like it? The link you provided does not have them in stock and the woman on the phone was not sure when they would be back. Trying to get ready for a race. Thanks

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No doubt the solenoid made a difference. Not game changing, but every bit helps when spooling. I understand the valve body method is much more effective/aggressive.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
You should be looking into the hughes valve that was released if you want legit

That is interval and controlling true converter charge, not the converter exhaust side on the cooler line

21 - 37 of 37 Posts