Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those running a dump valve: Is this a kit from a trans builder? Or did you create your own? Care to share how these are plumbed? I have heard of some that don't dump much, and others that really allow the engine to spool quickly.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,327 Posts
Created my own using a hydraulic solenoid valve.

I have two, one that dumps all the cooler circuit to the pan that if needed would help spool. And another that has a regulator from Hutch that keeps the cooler pressure at 75psi or lower. The one with the regulator is on from the burnout until the return road.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super helpful! But now I am curious about the one with the regulator set to 75 psi. What is that for?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great to know. Thank you!
I don't think the dump valve will help me build additional boost with this converter, as I come right up to the two step quickly anyhow. But this might be a future addition. The money that some of the kits cost is kinda crazy.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question about using these for stall spooling: Are the lights more consistent if you stop dumping BEFORE you release the trans brake? I am wondering if the changing fluid flow could introduce inconsistencies in the leave and reaction time if you don't get that out of the way before tb release? I guess I am more interested in the dump valve than I thought!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yes, as soon as it's making enough power to get up on the converter kill the solenoid. While it's dumping you are creating heat and reduced lubrication in the converter.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yes, as soon as it's making enough power to get up on the converter kill the solenoid. While it's dumping you are creating heat and reduced lubrication in the converter.

They are dumping on the cooler side so converter flow isn't affected, up if anything from the greater delta across the converter when it is open

They are wasting primary lube oil to the pan though. And if on the pre cooler side, dumping nuclear oil out of the converter into the pan without cooling

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I understand that the cooler line dump is on the outlet side of the converter. However if they are not starving the converter how is it going to loosen up the stall speed??

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If converter flow is unaffected, I'm thinking about this all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time however.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Putting it on the cooler line isn't changing the charging circuit, it is changing the exhaust circuit

Glide converter fluid path=

Valve body > case > pump > converter (between converter snout ID and pump stator tube OD) > out converter to pump ( between stator tube ID and input shaft OD) > cooler outlet on case > cooler > cooler return on case > pump > rear of input (at this point it is your primary lube circuit

The actual converter feed is a fixed orifice at a fixed line pressure

The lube circuit after coming back from the cooler is a restriction.....

The dump on the cooler line is making a parallel dump directly back to the pan..... Removing the restriction

Hence converter pressure drops .... But actual flow through converter increases

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tighter converter in, and now refining my staging and starting line method. I have the mentioned solenoid above. What size hoses are appropriate? It looks like we dump back to the pan. Do I T into one of the trans cooler lines? Which one?
Or, anyone have a picture or diagram? :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts