Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is that I have never had a engine failure from DSS in the 16yrs ive been dealing with them. My engines are assembled at the same time as the other "cookie cutter" motors and by the same guy. I have gone as fast as 7.88 @ 176 weighing over 3300lbs on a drag radial with their pistons, RPM rods, and RPM crank. I had OVER 450 passes (400+ 8.30 and faster) and those pistons are on display in their booth at the PRI show.. I have never had any interaction with Probe, so i cant speak for them. OP, if you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me via email or phone!

thanks bob
bob , i respect your accomplishments in racing and the race shop that you manage/operate, but wouldn`t ya think that dss offers their best quailty motors to kurgan racing. i suspect while claiming to be built out of the same parts that are offered to the public kurgan race motors are a notch above. not so much quailty of parts but the attention to detail is greater. bob dss can`t have you scattering stuff across the track for 2 self evident reasons (1) it would just look bad on their part(2) kurgan motorsports would not put up with it.
congrats on the new shop - welcome to jaweorgia.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
bob , i respect your accomplishments in racing and the race shop that you manage/operate, but wouldn`t ya think that dss offers their best quailty motors to kurgan racing. i suspect while claiming to be built out of the same parts that are offered to the public kurgan race motors are a notch above. not so much quailty of parts but the attention to detail is greater. bob dss can`t have you scattering stuff across the track for 2 self evident reasons (1) it would just look bad on their part(2) kurgan motorsports would not put up with it.
congrats on the new shop - welcome to jaweorgia.
i hear this all the time, but i have been there when my motors are being assembled... also, i can see what rods and crank are in my motor... shit, my crank now has 11 slugs of mallory in it (its an RPM that is neutral balanced)... we ran the RPM rods for 6 or so seasons before i asked to run alum rods.. i have seen my pistons getting made in house... this is no bullshit

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
but the cookie cutter engines are put together with absolutely no care or thought or experience.....

maybe you are just lucky,....but there are untold hundreds that have had blow up issues.

you cannot ignore the facts of what others have posted.

there was / is a time that every engine shop has issues with their customers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a DSS engine in my 94 Cobra and never had an issue. It was not blazing fast but ran 10.50 with a s-trim. As a matter a fact it is still living in a friends car...

·
Registered
1 Posts
say what you may about DSS… but they are one of the only aftermarket piston supliers that is selling pistons for stock ls rods and crank with multiple oversize bores and valve relief’s….this is a big step for the ls market. what I really would like to see is a slightly stronger than stock hypereutectic piston with around the same weight as stock with all the different choices DSS has for their new forged ls pistons.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Are you talking about the DSS in IL? They build good engines and stand behind their work. I worked there for about a year, left to move back to Michigan, yes I know not the best move. Only seen 2 or 3 engines come back because of issues, which were tuning related/installer related and not because of how they were built.

What is the trouble that you have heard?
X2 or more we buy and sell a lot of their parts especially pistons great quality and service Tom runs a tight ship

101 - 109 of 109 Posts