Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
looks like they dont know how to hook up chains... and they should probabaly check the battery on the breakaway... that shit is there for a reason.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Uhhh......hitch ball a touch too small?

Doesnt sound like a humvee is really what they haul that thing around with all the time.

LOL

·
T/S 368E
32,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most safety chains are undersized on purpose believe it or not.... as far as the electric brakes, they should have engaged, wonder why they didnt?
What could the purpose be. I noticed mine were pretty iffy looking when I bought my trailer.
I cut them off & put new ones on that were like 4 sizes thicker. Am I doing something wrong or dangerous?? Thanks for info.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
trailer breakaway battery is always dead unless you you hook it up to charging wire on truck. i also put large chains on trailer for protection

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
What could the purpose be. I noticed mine were pretty iffy looking when I bought my trailer.
I cut them off & put new ones on that were like 4 sizes thicker. Am I doing something wrong or dangerous?? Thanks for info.

I have been told by a guy that builds trailers for a living that the last thing they want is to be doing 70mph down the interstate and be tied to a trailer that weights more then their truck does and that they have very little, if any, control over. I tend to agree with him and my trailer still has the chains it came with. The best thing to have happen is to have the chains break, the electric brakes engage and hope it dont hit anyone else. I have seen a couple of trailers come unhook or break the ball off going down the interstate, not a pretty site.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have been told by a guy that builds trailers for a living that the last thing they want is to be doing 70mph down the interstate and be tied to a trailer that weights more then their truck does and that they have very little, if any, control over. I tend to agree with him and my trailer still has the chains it came with. The best thing to have happen is to have the chains break, the electric brakes engage and hope it dont hit anyone else. I have seen a couple of trailers come unhook or break the ball off going down the interstate, not a pretty site.

happened to me 2 months ago

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Not to be a smartass, but...why even have the chains, then?

Edit: Weird that they didn't just fess up and say what caused it to break away.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Not to be a smartass, but...why even have the chains, then?

Edit: Weird that they didn't just fess up and say what caused it to break away.

Probably because it's the law.

I had a cop ask me to weld some safety chains on his boat trailer. When he brought them over they were way too small. When I mentioned it to him he said that he'd rather have the trailer break away instead of slamming into the back of his pick up. He said you have to have them but there is nothing about the size.

There should be a law on size as well. Years ago when I lived in Toronto someone lost their boat on the 400. It went into the other lanes and killed at least one person in another car.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
What a brilliant idea, use small chains so they break away. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it breaks away at highway speeds and crosses the centerline into a school bus! Atleast it wont scratch your tailgate or bumper.

When your hauling anything, its your responsibility to bring it to a stop (regardless of the situation).

Another issue I see with safety chains is their length. Most people have them too long. You dont want the tongue to come in contact with the ground (and dig in) if you have a hitch failure. I ALWAYS criss-cross my chains atleast once, if not twice. That way if the hitch fails (or ball) it cradles the tongue and allows you to bring it to a stop.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I'm no trailer expert. But what is the difference between a trailer swinging from chains or sitting on a ball? The weight is the same right? The trailer may be moving around, but if the tongue is not digging into the pavement, it can't be detrimental to the operation of the tow vehicle.

Safety chains should be heavy enough and short enough to keep the trailer from breaking away from the tow vehicle. What in the hell good are they if they break away? Damn that's a no brainer guys.

g

·
T/S 368E
32,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably because it's the law.

I had a cop ask me to weld some safety chains on his boat trailer. When he brought them over they were way too small. When I mentioned it to him he said that he'd rather have the trailer break away instead of slamming into the back of his pick up. He said you have to have them but there is nothing about the size.

There should be a law on size as well. Years ago when I lived in Toronto someone lost their boat on the 400. It went into the other lanes and killed at least one person in another car.

Good points. I could not live with killing someone, especially so I didn't hurt my bumper or gate. That's the most important function of the chains.
If it flips you over or ??, too bad, it's supposed to give people time to avoid your damn boat, car ??
A total lose to our stuff should not have anything to do with using chains. 100% for innocent bystanders 1st, if it happens to save our stuff.
Nice added bonus. Actually I just decided to order a new emergency switch. My trailer is old & I want a new one. $12 won't kill me.

I like cops, they protect my wife & kids from morons when I'm gone. Sorry to say, that one sounds like a dick!!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,640 Posts
I have HUGE chains on my trailer, that is what it came with. This is a 30ft Gooseneck though. If somehow the ball came out of the hitch in the bed, the chains will keep the trailer with the truck. They are short enough that the trailer would not be able to come completely out of the bed, but they are long enough that the trailer can certainly be in my back seat of my truck! At least it won't be going elsewhere and hurting innocent people.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts