Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked a question similar to this on here before but let me just get to it. I was told by reputiable engine shop to run drain backs off the heads. I have 3 stage dry dump system do I need to tap and drill the pan and run the drain backs? I also will be running vac pump up top also do I need to run separate drain backs or can I run a Y block then into one. Final question drill and tap up high as possible on the pan or can I run it to an un used fitting at the bottom, plus run 12 an top to bottom???:confused:

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you scavange from the lifter valley ?​
I have 2 feeds pulling from the bottom of the oil pan plus one from the oil tank, then the vac pump pulling vac from the left hand valve cover. So no I'm not scavenging directly from the lifter valley.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Is return flow restricted anywhere? What kind of head, what block? If steel block did you deburr the casting and paint the lifter galley so that oil won't cling? Is there signs of excessive oil puddling in the galley or the head? IMO these are the questions i would be asking myself to help me in the decision. I run 3 stage and the heads don't drain back to the pan. The problem with external lines is restriction, any trash (silicon gasket stuff etc) will get hung up in there. But some heads just need the return lines and you have to live with it, but those are kinda exotic heads on big motors where a 3 stage system just wouldn't do the job anyway. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth oj

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is return flow restricted anywhere? What kind of head, what block? If steel block did you deburr the casting and paint the lifter galley so that oil won't cling? Is there signs of excessive oil puddling in the galley or the head? IMO these are the questions i would be asking myself to help me in the decision. I run 3 stage and the heads don't drain back to the pan. The problem with external lines is restriction, any trash (silicon gasket stuff etc) will get hung up in there. But some heads just need the return lines and you have to live with it, but those are kinda exotic heads on big motors where a 3 stage system just wouldn't do the job anyway. Just my thoughts, for what they're worth oj
Yeah I ran them today after thinking things over, and probing from other idividuals.

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Word of advice, run screen filters on ALL scavenge lines. Cheap insurance.
Thanks I'll epoxy the basterds in, this weekend. They collect that much trash huh?:confused:

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
All it takes is one little piece to ruin your day. Ask me how I know... Lucky for me it was making the turnoff, only hurt the pump.

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All it takes is one little piece to ruin your day. Ask me how I know... Lucky for me it was making the turnoff, only hurt the pump.
Jmark what do you think about a brass screen epoxied in at the feed on the bottom of the tank?

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
x2 but check them often too. Fronts will be the worst. Tell me how i know..:-D
Both pan feeds have the screen fittings on teh pan via Jeff Johnson Billet pan, plus screens on the fittings built in. So do you think it would be nessary to run them on the main feed and epoxy one in on the inside of the tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts