Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of some people hooking up a turbo drain to a dry sump stage by having a reservoir tank in between with a breather. Does anyone have pics of the intermediate tank? How should it be setup?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've heard of some people hooking up a turbo drain to a dry sump stage by having a reservoir tank in between with a breather. Does anyone have pics of the intermediate tank? How should it be setup?
We use a 5 stage Auto Verdi pump and have the turbo oil drain tee'd into the suction stage at the front of the pan. Our thinking is that the front pickup is most likely moving the least quantity of oil of the 4 on the pan and it's closest to the turbo drain. We attempted to keep any low spots out of the line as it goes over to the tee at the suction line. We don't have anything in between the pump and the drain. No problems that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that was a big no no? Wouldn't that give the turbo drain vacuum?

We use a 5 stage Auto Verdi pump and have the turbo oil drain tee'd into the suction stage at the front of the pan. Our thinking is that the front pickup is most likely moving the least quantity of oil of the 4 on the pan and it's closest to the turbo drain. We attempted to keep any low spots out of the line as it goes over to the tee at the suction line. We don't have anything in between the pump and the drain. No problems that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 5 stage pump with my 4fittings on the passside of pan and have a turbo drain fitting on the driverside of pan which is side turbo mounts on .i was just going to run the drain from Turbo to That fitting on the Pan .WHat Should I do ? Is That the Wrong thing to Do

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sure that would work fine as long as the turbo is high enough.

I have a 5 stage pump with my 4fittings on the passside of pan and have a turbo drain fitting on the driverside of pan which is side turbo mounts on .i was just going to run the drain from Turbo to That fitting on the Pan .WHat Should I do ? Is That the Wrong thing to Do

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
We have run them tee'd into a pan drain without issues.
We know of two racers that used direct lines and had turbo failures.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I know the guy from Chiseled performance made a intermediate tank for someone so maybe he'll chime in here eventually.

We have run them tee'd into a pan drain without issues.
We know of two racers that used direct lines and had turbo failures.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
I would be concerend about overscanveging a turbo. With a vacum control vent on thedrain line or with a tank and vent in the line it should be doable. You do not want lots of vacum. If you are running dry sump run a dedicated stage for the turbo and keep the vacum at or near zero.

Thanks

I know the guy from Chiseled performance made a intermediate tank for someone so maybe he'll chime in here eventually.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I heard that was a big no no? Wouldn't that give the turbo drain vacuum?
Between the 3 cars we've logged over 400 runs without a turbo failure. We've always run the drain to the pan in the past and we've always run the crankcase in a vacuum. We're not making any more vacuum with the dry sump system than we were with the vacuum pump. Just my .02
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Been running a GN with 88mm turbo draining into a port on the dry sump pump. -4 feed to turbo and -6 into the pump. The drain was undersized intentionally to try and avoid pulling to much of a vacuum on the turbo. Car has been racing since May and so far so good.

The car originally had a drain going to the pan. It had to many turns in the line and would not drain properly causing the car to smoke. We then swaped to the -6 out of the turbo and connected it to the external pump and life has been good. Probably 40 passes on the car with some street driving and so far, no issues.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mine is the same I have it tee-d into the front scavange of the dry sump pan and my drains are below the oil level. works great never had any turbo or smoking problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts