Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening, I have a 430 cubic inch Donovan aluminum block with SB2.2 heads and nitrous. It has a Petersen 5 stage R4 pump but I need a tank and breather yet. What size do you guys recommend? I have a line on a 3 gallon petersen tank and breather for cheap and my understanding is you fill it 70-80% so say 2.25-2.5 gallons of oil for the 3 gallon. It is 9" diameter x 16" tall. I realize its a little large... but its cheap im not married to it but figured if it is where I should be why buy new.. Whats the consensus on this? Its in a 88 mustang notch with tube front end so if it comes down to space I'm sure I can accommodate it. Thanks

·
T/S 368E
32,493 Posts

You can always cut it down, and yes I was always taught to fill it 75%.
I bought a 5 gallon and chopped a few inches off to make it fit under the 1 piece nose.
It was dirt cheap, so I went for it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Evening, I have a 430 cubic inch Donovan aluminum block with SB2.2 heads and nitrous. It has a Petersen 5 stage R4 pump but I need a tank and breather yet. What size do you guys recommend? I have a line on a 3 gallon petersen tank and breather for cheap and my understanding is you fill it 70-80% so say 2.25-2.5 gallons of oil for the 3 gallon. It is 9" diameter x 16" tall. I realize its a little large... but its cheap im not married to it but figured if it is where I should be why buy new.. Whats the consensus on this? Its in a 88 mustang notch with tube front end so if it comes down to space I'm sure I can accommodate it. Thanks

·
T/S 368E
32,493 Posts

That's awfully small, I would go with the biggest thing he can fit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I pulled the trigger on the Used Petersen 3 gallon part number 08-0009 and a breather 08-0400. $100 plus shipping how can a guy beat that. Would be over $700 new. And like Mr Dragster mentioned can always trim her down if needed I hope.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
On my 434ci small block nitrous dry sump engine I only need 6 qts of oil so I have a small tank. On my blown hemi on alc I use a 3 gal tank w/ apx 2.5 gal in it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and for another $40 I bought a remote oil filter housing from him. My block has the filter in the factory spot and was dry sumped so I have the option to do either or now. What's your guys opinions on just keeping the filter and running it with the dry sump the way it is in the picture or caping that off and running a remote filter setup? The large line with the 180 fitting is from the pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,326 Posts

That's awfully small, I would go with the biggest thing he can fit.

do you know about dry sumps? for starters it's on about every PS car, I have installed over 10 of these, works well with 12 and 14 Q systems. In a few weeks will be installing 2 more. It's a great tank.

·
T/S 368E
32,493 Posts

Never claimed to be an expert, but I'll take 20 qts and lines over 6 qts any day.
I'm pretty sure the photo of MY car with MY tank, and MY reasoning means I know enough to post an opinion.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts

Never claimed to be an expert, but I'll take 20 qts and lines over 6 qts any day.
I'm pretty sure the photo of MY car with MY tank, and MY reasoning means I know enough to post an opinion.

/\ NOT what I meant, but I know what you mean . 6q is not enough.

Reactions: mrdragster1970

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I run that Peterson tank on my junk. Works perfectly. I run a total of 9 quarts in my system. Big two piece billet fab pan, four stage moroso pump......the peterson tank is pleny big for any drag racing application. They should know, that's what they do and it's made specifically for that....

If you need more and better info, find Haberkorn on here, he works at Peterson here in town....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when we say system capacity and tank size obviously this tank i have we know is a 3 gallon(12qt) tank. So say I put 9 or 9.5-10 quarts in it. Then after priming it the first time the engine, lines and pump will gobble some of that up. So i assume I would then add to get the level back up to that 70-80% level correct? So if that's right really I potentially could have 12-13 qts of oil in the "system" with a 3 gallon tank? I hope I didn't just talk a big circle this is my first dry sump engine.

·
T/S 368E
32,493 Posts
I run that Peterson tank on my junk. Works perfectly. I run a total of 9 quarts in my system. Big two piece billet fab pan, four stage moroso pump......the peterson tank is pleny big for any drag racing application. They should know, that's what they do and it's made specifically for that....

If you need more and better info, find Haberkorn on here, he works at Peterson here in town....

I was just making sure everyone understood don't throw 4 qts in and go hammer it!!!
I like plenty of oil and I always heat it when chilly!!!

Reactions: Coloradoracer

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
If it has a baffle near the top, that is a good place to run it with the engine being primed by the pump with a drill. Recheck with engine running.
This is what I have read before as well. Fill it up, prime the system completely, then check the level. Not sure how you could go wrong there.

·
Registered
607 Posts

If I remember correctly my tank is 2.5 gallon with the Peterson 5 stage. I run around 10.5 qts with a stock type filter. Even though I have return lines in the back of the head I still have to get some heat in it to get the oil level right. I overfilled it the first time and made a mess when I got to the track. This is my first dry sump deal so I had a little learning curve. Just ask Haberkorn Lol. I think next winter I'm going to send my lines back and get a pre-filter and primer setup from Peterson.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perfect, I appreciate all the info here. I'll get this tank cleaned up and looking new again. Thanks gents!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
View attachment 193225

If I remember correctly my tank is 2.5 gallon with the Peterson 5 stage. I run around 10.5 qts with a stock type filter. Even though I have return lines in the back of the head I still have to get some heat in it to get the oil level right. I overfilled it the first time and made a mess when I got to the track. This is my first dry sump deal so I had a little learning curve. Just ask Haberkorn Lol. I think next winter I'm going to send my lines back and get a pre-filter and primer setup from Peterson.
Nice looking setup. And that petersen primer filter housing seems slicker then hell. I may just go that route and be done. I have a feeling once its all in the car and plumbed it will be a chore to take belt off and prime the system that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts