Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would your 10 year old be happy with this as a birthday present, or would the Yamaha be a better set? I know it all comes down to symbols really but this is for a beginner.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Both are good drum companies, good head action out of both, I do love my tama though.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you're crafty, why not build a kit with him? Been playing since 10yo, I've personally built 3 different kits over the years, you can put together a damn nice 4-5 piece for around 500 bucks or so that will absolutely destroy anything similar to what's posted. Check out www.amdrumparts.com Jon can do the snare beds and edges for ya on the cheap. plus it won't buckle or warp in that insane panama heat.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot use my left arm right now. Just need something that sounds good is is EASY to put together.

The individual parts here are retardedly expensive. So it is pretty much a 5 piece kit & I can add on others as needed.

For shipping I would pay as much in shipping than what I can buy a full setup for. This month is crazy on cash, because I am getting parts shipped in & will go far beyond my 32lbs limit(have to pay per gram on anything over) The cylinder heads are already going to put me at about 50 lbs.
I will be buying this with my next check so I have time to shop around. As time & funds allow I can replace the covers(whatever they are called) as they have all kinds here. But right now. I need something easy. maybe once he gets decent at it, we can look at building something.

·
JustSayin' CyberWarFare
3,326 Posts
Both kits in the entry level price range will be chinese made shells and hardware. The only exception is Premier drums, even entry level stuff is made in England, though some stands are chinese. I've been to the Premier Factory and they still make every thing by hand, pretty cool process. Got to make may own maple snare drum there. I won a trip for being the top Drum salesman in the company with Guitar Center.

The Yamaha stuff usually has double brace hardware and stands for the same price as Pearl, Ludwig and Tama.

Any of them will sound decent with replacement heads, especially the snare.

Best value is a lightly used set of mid level drums with new heads. Just like guitars, drums sound better with age, as long as they were not beaten up when moved.

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,435 Posts
Tom that accent kit will be fine for a 10 year old. The key is a good bass pedal, cymbals can come after he breaks the cheap ones. When he breaks the heads go for the remo pinstripes for the toms, powerstroke3 for the kick, and the ambassador for the snare.

·
Gone Camping.
10,613 Posts
^^Stroker-Porsche might be onto something ...A friend of mine is a drummer and we were looking at local used sets on the web and there's loads of them out there. Might get a way better kit for the same price from someone who couldnt make noize or hold a beat.

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,435 Posts
^^Stroker-Porsche might be onto something ...A friend of mine is a drummer and we were looking at local used sets on the web and there's loads of them out there. Might get a way better kit for the same price from someone who couldnt make noize or hold a beat.
Tom is in another country so his option are very limited.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Happy neighbors are in your future.
fuck them. His bedroom is next to the university parking lot & our building is full of college kids that make noise damn near 24/7.
have a guy on the 6th floor who plays drums...horribly at that on his balcony with no windows.

The only sound ordinances we have here is NO construction work in occupied residential areas after 7PM.

Tom is in another country so his option are very limited.
yup, cannot exactly find them on CL.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tom that accent kit will be fine for a 10 year old. The key is a good bass pedal, cymbals can come after he breaks the cheap ones. When he breaks the heads go for the remo pinstripes for the toms, powerstroke3 for the kick, and the ambassador for the snare.

+1 PowerStroke3 on the bass with a Falam pad. Those would be perfect drums for a beginner. It's better to see a talented drummer on a budget kit, than see one that totally sucks on a super nice one you wish you could afford. I've had the same set of Ludwigs for 20 years, old Ludwig Rocker kit from the early 80s. Great bass drum sound. I sold the original snare when I got my Pearl Chad Smith signature snare.

I hope your kid has a blast.

If anyone has an older Camco (DW style) pedal in nice shape, PM me. I regret selling mine. Double pedal would be even better.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 32 Posts