Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be done to a car that doesn't have a hood on it so it can be driven in the rain for a short distances.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Put a proper air cleaner on the car to keep the rain out. Driving without a hood is not a problem at all...... Don't let the cops catch you.

Andrew

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I have drove my junk in the rain for hundreds of miles during Drag Week, didn't bother a thing, but I had a hood on it, just no air cleaner and w/ a forward facing scoop. I don't think you will catch enough water to bother a thing..

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'd spray some WD-40 or something on all the ignition wires/cap, etc. If you have the wheel housing/inner fenders of some sort, that helps too, to keep the splashing down.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, my main concern is keeping water out of the carb and the ignition. I do have a K&N air cleaner for the carb but not sure how well that will keep water out while driving. Also I am not sure how the coil and dis. will like all the water. I have a few last things that need to be done to the car and with the trailer tied up I was planning on driving the car but there are thunderstorms in the forecast for the days that I was going to have the work done.

·
Registered
378 Posts
been there done that! it sucks but just be aware of all the wires and the alternator afterwards, should be fine for a short distance though

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the stock hood but the carb sets 8" above that. I have one ordered but it will be about a month or little more before I get it.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,399 Posts
8 inches, holy crap. Is it a common car that you can get a crappy hood for and cut it out to at least cover everything else that doesn't like to be wet. duct tape an oil drain pan over the hole in the hood, or in your case a 5 gallon bucket... :p

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Seeings how some folks intentionally inject LOTS of water into their motors, I dont think a little rain is going to hurt it any. my biggest concern would be the dissy & the alt.

Bob

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Opening day of the track is Sat. and I really need to get the car on the chassis dyno and to the alignment shop before I take it to the track. Since the trailer is tied up until Sat. I have two option either drive the car to the place or wait for another week.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i see hot rods driving in the rain going to goodguy events, no hoods or hood sides. they do just fine. its when the car is parked and their is no heat in the engine to dry up the moisture that may be an issue. just cover it when parked.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts