Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From axle centerline to the u-joint pick-up, what's the length difference on a 9" and a 12-bolt? i.e. how much am I going to have to shorten my driveshaft?

My 12 bolt has a Strange U1601 yoke and the 9" has a Strange U1603 yoke if anyone has specifics..

Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 9" yoke is the short/standard length one, and the 12 bolt one is 1/2" longer than stock (for 1350 joint). I'm under the impression the 9" assembly is longer than 12 bolt around an inch

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oh, so you guys are saying the 9" differental is shorter and a long yoke will restore the length I need. OK

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I found the driveshaft length with a stock GM 12 bolt and companion flange to be close to the 9" with long flange (yoke). The shaft for the GM in my case was 1/2" longer but the GM trans yoke was 1/2" shorter from u-joint to seal surface (1.5" vs. 2").

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool..

I finally got the 12 bolt drug out from under the car and just measured, seems like 9" is about 1/2 to 3/4" more compact than the 12 bolt (i.e. driveshaft needs to be longer for 9"). I'll be using the same yoke on the trans, so I won't gain anything back there..

9" measure

12 bolt measure

thanks for the discussion guys. hope this helps others in the future too

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coincidentally I had a driveshaft from someone else's old chevelle that had a TH400 and a 12 bolt, so the combination of differing lengths to my TH350 and 9" end up working out. Just need to swap slip yokes and be on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts