Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to drill out conical seat aluminum wheels for a mag style lug nut?
Would it need some type of insert?

·
Mike
7,182 Posts
I drilled out steel wheels using a stepped bit for 5/8 studs. I'm wondering if you could use the stepped bit as a shallow starter hole so it does not rattle at the top of the hole. I did try using a bit for wheel spacers, and that was the problem I had.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bumping this up to see if anyone else has drilled wheels out. Looking at changing wheels for a more Nostalgia look and the wheels are conical seat. Would like to drill for .500 length shank and 1/2 lug nuts. Thinking of using a reamer on a mill.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I've drilled rims for 11/16 shank lug nuts, I use a .703 drill. You can use a reamer too but you should drill 1/32 under finish size first, reamers are not intended to remove large amounts of material, just finish the hole accurately and smooth. Mill is the hot setup to drill them with the large table and abilty to run slower rpm. Really easy to chatter the drill and end up with an oblong and oversize hole if you try to open up an existing hole with a drill running to much rpm. Run under 250 rpm,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely possible but first I would figure out how thick the wheel would be after machining for the washer and look at the thicknesses of other wheels to compare it to first. JMO

Aukai; I have wondered about this as well but have been hesitant to because the backside is not typically flat as I believe this is to provide somewhat of a spring to keep it tight; I could be wrong on that tho but it makes sense when you look at lug nut torque differences between steel and aluminum wheels. Also, what did you do to the front side of the wheel for the washer to seat against; possibly machine the washer for clearance?

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
If one drills out the wheel stud holes to 1/2", is there enough seat left to continue to use conical seat lug nuts?

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
GM steel wheels, probably from the 1980s. I called Stockton Wheel, and the guy I spoke to said the holes might already be large enough for 1/2" studs, so I'll have to check.

·
Registered
65 Posts
NovaMan, I’m using I believe Wheel Vintiques steel wheels meant for 7/16” studs with 1/2” studs with no modifications. More bearing surface for the conical lug nuts would be great but no issues and they don’t appear too compromised. FWIW right or wrong...

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Good to know! I should have gone out to the garage by now to measure, but other things keep distracting me.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
I finally got around to checking, and they'll take a 1/2" stud no problem. One less thing to do!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I dont know the reason that you want to drill the wheels out, but on a set of aluminum wheels I had, I used lug nuts that are called ET Conical seat lug nuts. They have a mag shank and a conical seat. The shank helps to center the wheel, and give move thread engagement.
Brian

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
I dont know the reason that you want to drill the wheels out
I don't know about the OP, but in my case it's for aftermarket axles with larger wheel studs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts