Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for someone to drill and tap axles for 5/8 studs can someone tell me where i can have this done at ive tried moser, yukon, strange and several local machine shops and no luck

·
Registered
597 Posts
Where are you located, who's axles and what bolt pattern? I've made a jig to do 5 on 4.5" in my mill. I would have to make another jig for 5 on 4.75".

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm curious why Moser wouldn't do them. Is there room on your axle for another bolt pattern or do you want the existing holes opened up?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I haven't built jig them that way yet. The jig I made previously used the existing 1/2-20 studs to hold the axle in place and I drilled the new bolt pattern in between. What reason did the local shops give you for not doing it? It's not something that would be terrible hard for anyone with a bridgeport.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried mark williams they said no only there axles and the local shops just say there to hard to drill can you take some pics of your jig maybe i can fab one up

·
Registered
597 Posts
tried mark williams they said no only there axles and the local shops just say there to hard to drill can you take some pics of your jig maybe i can fab one up
I just set it on the table. In use I would bolt it down to the table by the slots and swing the head over into position. The existing studs locate in the smaller pattern and the 5/8-18 pattern is drilled and tapped through the large holes. I indicate the small center hole and use the digital readout to layout the bolt pattern.

Bottom The register fits a ford axle with a .003" slip fit.

I had no issue drilling Moser axles with a high speed steel drill and a coated HSS tap. I probably spun the drill about 250 rpm and I power tap at the lowest speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts