Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum Member
5,683 Posts
I wonder how often they have to replace the spindle bearings??

That's a lot of vibration from that tool holder. Personally if I had to go to the trouble of drilling pilot holes first, i would rather use an endmill and spiral cut down to make my square hole.

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
It needs so American refinement-(or the rest of the stolen technology ) because apparently the first hole..don't look to square.;)

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
that leaves me wtf-ing about as much as the lathe that can turn a square/hex/etc. Absolutely nuts
Make squares, rectangles, eccentrics, cams, all the time on the lathe. :p

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Its definitely cool, but is there an advantage to square holes over round ones? Besides being able to use square shanked bolts.

·
Registered
40,380 Posts
Its definitely cool, but is there an advantage to square holes over round ones?
Yes. It solves the age-old dilemma of not being able to put a square peg in a round hole.

Now you can. If O'Neal gets word of this, there may be a market for square piston pins.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you have to drill a pilot, why not just broach it??? Rotary broach, sinker edm, etc.. Its neat, but I dont see it making huge waves in the CNC or manufacturing world. Looks hard on the machine and slow. The tooling dont look cheap either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I worked at a machine shop outside of detroit in 1988.It was owned by a bunch of old navy machinist.They said they made that setup long before I got there. They said it worked killer. Years later chanks stole ANOTHER american idea. These guys could make anything. I made some pretty killer stuff.Straight out of high school. Of course they set up the machine,I just ran them. But they were manual.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Wouldn't that tend to start cracking at the corners if it was under stress? Like the Comet airplane windows?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you have to drill a pilot, why not just broach it??? Rotary broach, sinker edm, etc.. Its neat, but I dont see it making huge waves in the CNC or manufacturing world. Looks hard on the machine and slow. The tooling dont look cheap either.
No EDM= no additional set up, and EDM's a slow as hell=cheeper
No broach=no tool change, this apears to be faster=cheeper

The question is how much is the tool, and how much to keep it up..

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
I worked at a machine shop outside of detroit in 1988.It was owned by a bunch of old navy machinist.They said they made that setup long before I got there. They said it worked killer. Years later chanks stole ANOTHER american idea. These guys could make anything. I made some pretty killer stuff.Straight out of high school. Of course they set up the machine,I just ran them. But they were manual.
Damn ***** steal everything. i knew they couldn't come up with that themselves

1 - 20 of 21 Posts