Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum Member
5,683 Posts
I wonder how often they have to replace the spindle bearings??

That's a lot of vibration from that tool holder. Personally if I had to go to the trouble of drilling pilot holes first, i would rather use an endmill and spiral cut down to make my square hole.

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
It needs so American refinement-(or the rest of the stolen technology ) because apparently the first hole..don't look to square.;)

·
Smoked another CTD
3,952 Posts
that leaves me wtf-ing about as much as the lathe that can turn a square/hex/etc. Absolutely nuts
Make squares, rectangles, eccentrics, cams, all the time on the lathe. :p

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Its definitely cool, but is there an advantage to square holes over round ones? Besides being able to use square shanked bolts.

·
Registered
37,884 Posts
Its definitely cool, but is there an advantage to square holes over round ones?
Yes. It solves the age-old dilemma of not being able to put a square peg in a round hole.

Now you can. If O'Neal gets word of this, there may be a market for square piston pins.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you have to drill a pilot, why not just broach it??? Rotary broach, sinker edm, etc.. Its neat, but I dont see it making huge waves in the CNC or manufacturing world. Looks hard on the machine and slow. The tooling dont look cheap either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I worked at a machine shop outside of detroit in 1988.It was owned by a bunch of old navy machinist.They said they made that setup long before I got there. They said it worked killer. Years later chanks stole ANOTHER american idea. These guys could make anything. I made some pretty killer stuff.Straight out of high school. Of course they set up the machine,I just ran them. But they were manual.

·
Registered
37,884 Posts
It does do that, but is it smart? LOL
I was being a bit sarcastic. And yeah, it's pretty smart, but is it of any real use? Round holes and round devices don't appear to be holding back advances in fastening technology, as far as I know.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Wouldn't that tend to start cracking at the corners if it was under stress? Like the Comet airplane windows?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you have to drill a pilot, why not just broach it??? Rotary broach, sinker edm, etc.. Its neat, but I dont see it making huge waves in the CNC or manufacturing world. Looks hard on the machine and slow. The tooling dont look cheap either.
No EDM= no additional set up, and EDM's a slow as hell=cheeper
No broach=no tool change, this apears to be faster=cheeper

The question is how much is the tool, and how much to keep it up..

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
I worked at a machine shop outside of detroit in 1988.It was owned by a bunch of old navy machinist.They said they made that setup long before I got there. They said it worked killer. Years later chanks stole ANOTHER american idea. These guys could make anything. I made some pretty killer stuff.Straight out of high school. Of course they set up the machine,I just ran them. But they were manual.
Damn gooks steal everything. i knew they couldn't come up with that themselves

1 - 20 of 21 Posts