Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed watching Live feeds that many of the dragsters stop when they are backing up to light the pre stage Light. I thought all staging actions had to be forward only per NHRA rules. I see one problem with this if there are 2 racers that want to do it, are they both going to stop and out wait the other driver for who backs up 1st. Also if the 1st driver backing up stops in the prestage, and watches the other driver then back into the prestage, , quickly stages, 2nd driver only has 7 seconds to put in forward and fully stage. What made me think of this is SFG Promotions that run Big Dollar Bracket races posting there is concern at these races they want input on shecking cars for Illegal devices. Discuss

·
T/S 368E
28,331 Posts

No clue why the change all of a sudden.
What's wrong with doing the burnout, backing up past the beams a few feet, clear her out & stage???
Worked perfect for decades, what could they possibly be gaining by saving a few inches???

Reactions: oscaracme

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Backing up and stopping at the prestage is not a problem. They still have to move forward to the stage light, so last motion is forward as required. Open wheel cars have been doing this forever. I remember a short front engine dragster that used this method. He had solid front wheels that he could clearly see. The left wheel have lines drawn on it around the perimeter evenly spaced and a marker/pointer off the axle. When he backed up to the prestage, he could see which line the pointer was on and count the correct number of lines as he moved forward to stage in the same exact point in the lights.

I know of at least one other guy that used a sensor to his driveshaft to stage with after backing into the prestage. Legal, I don't know.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,784 Posts

No clue why the change all of a sudden.
What's wrong with doing the burnout, backing up past the beams a few feet, clear her out & stage???
Worked perfect for decades, what could they possibly be gaining by saving a few inches???

Because there are assholes that should be labeled as CHEATERS that will move their steering wheel left and right to flicker the Stage Bulb to start the timer. They know it's going, they hope the other guy doesn't, they get-in after 5 seconds, the other lane finally starts to move forward just to see the tree either go RED on his side for not staging in time, or it comes-on and he isn't even on the TB button yet! Fuckers will always find a way to CHEAT!

·
T/S 368E
28,331 Posts

That was my 1st thought also :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Because there are assholes that should be labeled as CHEATERS that will move their steering wheel left and right to flicker the Stage Bulb to start the timer. They know it's going, they hope the other guy doesn't, they get-in after 5 seconds, the other lane finally starts to move forward just to see the tree either go RED on his side for not staging in time, or it comes-on and he isn't even on the TB button yet! Fuckers will always find a way to CHEAT!
You can defeat all that by going in first.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Bunch of dragster guys doing it now. I always back up slow through the beams and see how much of a rollout there is. I clear my motor out then bump into pre stage. I dont like when other guys do it and I've heard it's more of a head game rushing the other guy to get him out of his routine. I take my sweet ass time when they do that.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Bunch of dragster guys doing it now. I always back up slow through the beams and see how much of a rollout there is. I clear my motor out then bump into pre stage. I dont like when other guys do it and I've heard it's more of a head game rushing the other guy to get him out of his routine. I take my sweet ass time when they do that.
I think most do it so they know almost exactly where they are (how far away) from staging.

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
In doing so you take a better chance of red lighting because you go deeper into the pre stage. I just barely go in.
Really don't understand you doing that on purpose. That has to delay your reaction time, (while it will lower your et some) it would seem to insure you would always be 2nd to leave. How can that be a good thing?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Really don't understand you doing that on purpose. That has to delay your reaction time, (while it will lower your et some) it would seem to insure you would always be 2nd to leave. How can that be a good thing?
I believe he's talking about bracket racing. Doing that gives you the best chance of knowing where you are in the lights.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
What the gentleman said above. Some beams at tracks are different than others. Case in point one track locally I can 60 ft a 1.03 there anywhere else it's a 1.04 mostly. The beams are tighter so tracks like that I generally flicker that stage bulb and eat it off the top bulb. The other track if I do it like that I go red. That's why I like to back through the beams slowly to engage the rollout.

·
Registered
68,026 Posts
I noticed watching Live feeds that many of the dragsters stop when they are backing up to light the pre stage Light. I thought all staging actions had to be forward only per NHRA rules. I see one problem with this if there are 2 racers that want to do it, are they both going to stop and out wait the other driver for who backs up 1st. Also if the 1st driver backing up stops in the prestage, and watches the other driver then back into the prestage, , quickly stages, 2nd driver only has 7 seconds to put in forward and fully stage. What made me think of this is SFG Promotions that run Big Dollar Bracket races posting there is concern at these races they want input on shecking cars for Illegal devices. Discuss
Head games

·
Registered
68,026 Posts
Simplest thing to do is to forget the asshat in the other lane. Let the douche bag sit there a bit before pulling into the pre-stage beam.

Reactions: Mike Beck

·
Registered
68,026 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts