Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. What length does a drag strip have to be to qualify as an international drag strip. The shut down breaking area is the info i need. We are building a new strip in my home town and the area of land we have we are limited for room. Some one may know where I can find this info.
Thanks Danny

·
T/S 368E
31,151 Posts

I never knew there was a spec, and always thought they just called themselves whatever they want to??

·
e85 & injection guru
5,391 Posts
call your insurance carrier and let them decide. hate to see it all for naught

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Take some notice that Pomona--NHRA's home track is one of the shortest!

The only reason they still go there is because of the history. If any other facility were built like it they'd never even consider it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think the general rule of thumb has been a shutdown approximately twice the distance of the measured racing distance (i.e. 1/4 mile track, 1/2 mile shutdown).

For the sandpit, I would imagine NHRA has some sort of standard for the design and length, especially after Kalitta was killed.

Don't forget to figure in some room for staging lanes and possible sound buffers for neighboring properties.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
mongse;7173635 For the sandpit said:
I'm not buying that. If in fact that is true than why aren't ALL NHRA sanctioned tracks built with the same "so-called" specs? Doesn't make sense to me. Another thing is the insurance. Someone tell me what it exactly covers? Does it cover the racers med. bills if he's hurt, spectator injury??

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I'm not buying that. If in fact that is true than why aren't ALL NHRA sanctioned tracks built with the same "so-called" specs? Doesn't make sense to me.
I think they meant that the sandpit / trap at the end of the track is the same at every track. And that's largely true, as far as I know. What isn't the same is the distance from the finish line TO that trap.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I haven't read the links, but I was told years ago, to qualify for the good insurance policy (That I think the NHRA offers or is a part of), it requires 2 feet of shutdown for every 1 foot of racetrack you have..... you also have to have the proper side-railing. You cannot have that old studded steel girder type railing prevalent back in the 60's and 70's, you need the concrete blocks I think.

If you're not after NHRA sanctioning, then I don't think you have to worry about it.... with your only re-percussion coming from your customers/racers in regards to the perceived safety of your track.

Perhaps those links talk about it, not sure.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Our tracks sand pit doesn't meet shit and it's got 3/8 mile shut down. Also cannot have that old studded steel girder type railing LMAO.

·
Registered
659 Posts
It isn't so much the sanctioning body you need to worry about. Its the insurance company and they will tell you exactly what they want. K&K is who insures the NHRA, you can talk to Jones Brown or Wisenberg they are others who insure drag racing. There are others but my point is dont worry so much about the sanctioning body unless you plan on being a sanctioned track. Then you need to follow their guidelines.
Call one of these companies and talk to them they will be very helpful. I am pretty sure no one will allow the Armco (metal) guardrail any more in a new application. Besides they are only problems down the road when they get damaged and need to be fixed in the middle of a race. Concrete doesn't have that problem and its a hell of a lot safer.
No such thing as too much shutdown as long as you put in extra turnouts. Albuquerque has one of the longest shut downs I have ever been on.Pomona is short, no doubt.
Good luck though hope you find all you need.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts