Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dr44 on my ls motor with orange and grey wires coming out of the plug, which one gets he resistor any which one gets the key on ignition 12V? After reading a bunch about all the alternators and reading the diagrams my mind is melting, it's on a carbureted 2008 LS 6.0 I've just given up on trying t figure it out, any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I took mine to an old school alternator shop and had them convert it to a single wire. I felt like you did, too much wiring to clutter up my carbed simpleness

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a alt. off a 2008 2500hd on my 6.0. All I did was use the battery cable from the old 12SI gm alt..
I now have 13.8 volts at the battery lug coming off the alt. & the old 2 wire plug from the 12SI alt. isnt hooked to anything.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Those alternators are pcm controlled. They default to 13.8 when not hooked up.

All you need to do it hook the lead up to the battery and leave the 2 wire plug unhooked.

I did this with my dads car 3 years ago works great. Drives it everyday

Tim

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome!!! Thanks guys. Now that's a hell of a lot easier than I thought. So basically as long as it dosent get told what to do from the PCM it's just a 1 wire defaulted to 13.8 volts.... Lol I'm ok with that, thanks again!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Yes the lowest I have seen it is 13.7 with the lights a/c fans radio on

Tim

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Those alternators are pcm controlled. They default to 13.8 when not hooked up.

All you need to do it hook the lead up to the battery and leave the 2 wire plug unhooked.

I did this with my dads car 3 years ago works great. Drives it everyday

Tim
Are all the truck alternators this way or just the newer style?

·
Registered
639 Posts
does someone have the part number for this alt

·
Registered
639 Posts
how about does anyone know if this is a simple replacement for an older truck style alt?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got my car running, I Tested my dr44 alt with the battery wire off the back just hooked up and its not charging at all, must be a bummed alternator.....going to switch to the low mount style yhats on the sloppy wiki page and go from there

·
Registered
639 Posts
I put the napa part number 66444 on, I only hooked the charge wire to the stud and its been working flawlessly for the last 3 days..

·
Registered
509 Posts
What you are looking for is a DR44G. It is self-exciting, so unless you need an idiot light in the dash, you only need to connect the BATT terminal. It is slightly larger, so you might need to change the belt depending on your tensioner setting.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think you are referring to the delco part number which the same part number from napa is a 66444. that's what I just used here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts